THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Were we that bad? Or does the city not want to have it in the city anymore? The only thing I can think of that they would have a problem with would be that the rain the past years makes a mud pit out of the field. What a bummer, Pigs in the Park was the first competition I ever attended and I love it there. I known Bill's heart is breaking, hope he finds a place for it.

Wow....lots of good thoughts. Too bad about the seasonal limitations. I would also love to see a "local" contest prior to Salisbury. I also find the idea of a winter contest very interesting. Once April hits I really don't have the time/budget for another contest straight thru til November.

Wow....lots of good thoughts. Too bad about the seasonal limitations. I would also love to see a "local" contest prior to Salisbury. I also find the idea of a winter contest very interesting. Once April hits I really don't have the time/budget for another contest straight thru til November.

I'm with Rick... I'd like a March contest. Too bad that won't work out for your town.

Well guys, a BBQ Competition in January/Febuary could definalty be done and I have a great place near me to pull it off. It would probably have to be a straight up competition with no bells and whistles attached i.e music, festival, other perks. I think it would be hard to convince sponsor and others to come out for us crazy BBQ'rs in cold #!@ weather and we be the only ones there.

The problem I would see is >>> man I had no idea how much it costs to put on one of these competitions by the time you pay the KCBS Fees and pay for a KCSB Rep and insurance they require, several hundred bucks to rent a venue and put up a judges tent and you could be out $2000 - $4000 before you were to come up with any prize money. If you did not bring sponsors into it and made the competition a 100% pay out after expenses there might not be much payout if there were only 15 or 20 teams. KCBS also requires a cash pay out of 1st through 5th in each cat. plus RGC and GC. A $250 entry fee and 20 teans would equal $5000 minus the KCBS Fees and other expenses it might only mean a payout of $2500 split 22 ways. Not sure other than getting out of the house in the winter how much excitement from teams that would draw. We DO have a great place to have such an event though. THOUGHTS??????

Well guys, a BBQ Competition in January/Febuary could definalty be done and I have a great place near me to pull it off. It would probably have to be a straight up competition with no bells and whistles attached i.e music, festival, other perks. I think it would be hard to convince sponsor and others to come out for us crazy BBQ'rs in cold #!@ weather and we be the only ones there.

The problem I would see is >>> man I had no idea how much it costs to put on one of these competitions by the time you pay the KCBS Fees and pay for a KCSB Rep and insurance they require, several hundred bucks to rent a venue and put up a judges tent and you could be out $2000 - $4000 before you were to come up with any prize money. If you did not bring sponsors into it and made the competition a 100% pay out after expenses there might not be much payout if there were only 15 or 20 teams. KCBS also requires a cash pay out of 1st through 5th in each cat. plus RGC and GC. A $250 entry fee and 20 teans would equal $5000 minus the KCBS Fees and other expenses it might only mean a payout of $2500 split 22 ways. Not sure other than getting out of the house in the winter how much excitement from teams that would draw. We DO have a great place to have such an event though. THOUGHTS??????

This is why I have no desire to be an organizer. More power to you Ruben. I hope you can pull it off.

Isnt the 3rd wknd in October The Jack?

Spring would be a good time and would get my vote. You would have more community involvement the better the weather and more chances at sponsors. Sponsors like crowds.

Go for it! We'd be in for sure. We went to Maine (KCBS sanctioned comp), got two 4th place calls and walked away with $80 in prize money. It wasnt about the payout....it was just really cool to be there, visit with people and have a great time. It was an auto into the Jack but thats not why we went. I bet you'd get more cooks than you think...

When I have choices, money is the deciding factor most of the time. In January or February ain't many choices. I'd just be happy cooking. I imagine a bunch of other people would feel the same way.

Also - John Atkins (POTR) has been doing a fund raiser in Waynesboro, VA at Justin Harris's former school in January/February time frame. Just thinking that maybe the two of those could be merged?

Febuary would be GREAT and I think you would get 20 pretty easy and probably more. We will come :-D Sorry I don't know the fees but there should be several folks who can provide a pretty accurate estimate. We are all getting the fever pretty bad by then. The convention (January) is in Philly this year the weekend before Lakeland. March also provides the chnace for nice road trips :rolleyes: Good luck and hope you can get things to work out. Your effort is appreciated!

Hey, an early contest is better than no contest, I would be real interested in something like what you are describing. But then again, I have been called crazy and off center many times.

Hi all....I'm new here. I'm also new to competing and would definitely come to a contest in Feb/March. Smoketoberfest was my first contest and the weather sucked, but I had a blast.

Back