Inkbird Temperature Controller review

11earl

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
HJ
I've been running my new Humphrey's Pint without any temp controller to get a feel for it. However, I would like the peace of mind that a temp controller provides for overnight cooks. I have an inkbird wifi meat thermometer that's been great - they quickly replaced a bad probe - so I thought I would try their new temperature controller.

The unit is currently on sale on Amazon for $180 and comes with the temp controller/fan unit, three probes, a/c power adapter, and some fittings for different cookers. It is advertised as being for kamadoes, kettles, or WSM, but I couldn't see why it wouldn't work for my vertical.

The trickiest part - for me - was determining how to connect it to the Humphrey 2" ball valve. I bought a 2" to 3/4" reducer that I screwed into the valve. Then I connected a 3/4" x 3/4" male threaded pipe to the reducer. I slid the Inkbird's stretchy hose over the pipe and had a perfect fit for under 20 bucks.

I set the inkbird to WSM, target cooker temp to 300 and smoked a turkey breast to 160 (think that was a touch high). With a 1/3 basket of charcoal and no water tray the Pint got to 300 in about 45 minutes and stayed at that tempertature for the four hour cook.

The only issues folks have mentioned about the controller is no low temperature alarm and no open door sensor. For $180 neither of these points bother me. The unit was easy to set up, use and functioned perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_4432.jpg
    IMG_4432.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 58
Back