THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Im just wondering what you guys think. I know a lot of teams go low and slow and Myron Mixon and his fokkiwers go hot and fast for Butts and Brisket. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I men Myron, he is the winningest man in BBQ, but low and slow wins championships as well.

I do medium and moderate, here's why:

1. I believe that the heat around 280°F or so gives me the best combination of moisture retention and surface texture. If the product is no good, nothing else matters. I feel that more moisture and softer surface texture works out for me.

2. I have limited time, and the slightly higher heat just reduces cooking time. Since I cook on naturally aspirated and uninsulated cookers, anything over about 10 hours becomes a real drag under most circumstances.

3. My cooker likes to run at that temperature, although it can easily run lower, the end product has not been as good.

I run my WSMs at 250-275 (mostly 250). I guess that's low and slow.

The reason? That's where my WSMs like to run, so I let 'em. That's to my advantage!

I have done both and find advantages and disadvantages to both. The bottom line is, both can work well once you adapt your cooking style to one or the other. Don't let comments from others drive your decision. Find what suits your smoker and your style, and perfect it.

I have done both and find advantages and disadvantages to both. The bottom line is, both can work well once you adapt your cooking style to one or the other. Don't let comments from others drive your decision. Find what suits your smoker and your style, and perfect it.

Yep, what he said!

Sleep time and life. At my point in life, there are much more important things than hanging around a smoker for 8 to 12 hours.

My WSM likes to run around 280*, so I let her...

When I first started Qing, I got frustrated when I couldn't hold my temps at 225*. Thanks to this site, I remembered what BBQ is about. Relaxing with family and friends, having a cold drink or six, and making some good food.

I think that we pretty much all agree that you can get good results either way. If the cooker I'm using tends to want to run at a certain temp, I'm going to encourage that if for no other reason than to make the whole process just a little bit easier. My temps vary depending on which of my cookers I'm using. Easier is better for me.

I've been liking 290 give or take. I like the heavier bark I get there and under 275 I don't seem to get the "weeping honey" so much. Too much higher and the bark gets to be too much and the window for perfection gets real small.

Of course I've developed my rub and techniques for higher heat.

I tend to feel lower temps work well with wrapping early, higher heat is better served with a nice rest or a ramp down at the end.

I run my WSMs at 250-275 (mostly 250). I guess that's low and slow.

The reason? That's where my WSMs like to run, so I let 'em. That's to my advantage!

^^^ What He said ^^^ plus I'm going to make sure I have the TIME to have a good time. It's therapy to let my WSM keep on Chooglin' until it's done. Complete with afew Cold Beers.

CCR at Woodstock says it all:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azt-0StLZOk"]Creedence Clearwater Revival - Keep On Chooglin' (Live At Woodstock 69').m2ts - YouTube[/ame]

The thing about going really high on the heat (325 and up) is that the fire tends to be cleaner burning which would usually be a good thing but on certain things I like a good amount of smoke, especially with beef. I also like to give larger cuts like brisket more cooking time to render fat out better.
To me 275 is the lower end of high and fast and that's pretty much where I like to cook. I can usually cook a 15 lb whole packer in 7 to 8 hours with no stall at that temp but at the same time it's getting plenty of smoke.
On the other hand when I cook chicken or turkey I start low at about 250 for the first hour to get plenty of smoke (poultry drinks up smoke quickly) but then I crank the heat to the 350 - 375 range to render the skin and finish the cook.
So to sum up, it really depends on what's being cooked as to the best cooking method to approach it with IMO.:-D

275-300 works for me. Meats get done quick enough, but the doneness window is still big enough that I don't miss it.

275°F-ish for me unless unless I have a lunchtime meat and cooking a big cut. Then I'll put it on in the evening, dial Colt in around 240°F or so and get some rest.

I run the gambit of cooking at low and slow, medium and moderate, and hot and fast. It all depends on my cooking timeline.

Several differences between low and slow and hot and fast.

Low and Slow -
Fat renders out more completely. Because of this I do not have to trim as aggresively.
Lower internal temperature finishing points (if using IT as guides of when to test for doneness)
Bark texture is softer and more pliable

Hot and fast
Need to trim more aggressively since the fat doesn't render out as completely.
Bark is harder. This can be fixed by wrapping when the color of the bark gets to the point you like. While wrapped (even if no liquid is added) the bark will soften. Also when resting, the bark will soften even more.
Higher internal temperature finishing temps when using as a guide to test for doneness.

I was raised on H&F and never knew it:twitch: When I started cooking on my own every ne was cooking at 225 deg being the rebel I was I started cooking at 240-250 and doing battle with the pit to keep it that way. I was visiting my uncle Denver a few yrs ago he was cooking a Clod on his pit. Not a thermo in sight, every so often he would pop the door and chuck in a mesquite stick come back sit down and hoist his necker. I questioned him on it, and he proceeded to explain that is the way His Pa( My Pappy) always done it. Curios I went and got an oven therm and set it on the grate, his pit was running 340. The "Q" HIS "Q" was like a trip back in time. I had found the holly grail that I had been chasing for years of L&S cooking. Since switching over to H&F life has changed I can sleep in (a bonus as I get older) My food has improved in texture, flavor and moisture content, I have perfected a few new techniques that I freely share. I see no reason to go back.

Once I saw how well H&F turned out on briskets, I never looked back, but on pork I still go low and slow. I've tried H&F and while it works, when cooking at those temps it seems like there is a very small window between done and overdone. I just don't like the end result as well. To each their own I guess!

Hot and fast - less time
Low and slow - much larger "doneness window"

I've tried some hot n' fast and the trick I've found is that indeed, the doneness window can be quite short. I've over-shot some of my cooks trying to do hot n' fast. So while you spend less time for the total cook I think you have to pay very close attention during that time such that it's almost a wash between the two cooking methods.

Back