THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks. I'll go that route instead. I don't have the old pieces to use in the repair, so I'll try and build it up with just the JB.

James

I am new here, I thought I would add my experience to this thread.

I had the opportunity to get an Imperial Kamado for free, I just had to get it home. Well I could not drive it home so I decided to give shipping a try. I padded like crazy with all sorts of packing materials, I used a lot of Styrofoam sheeting. I double boxed. Three large boxes, probably cost me $150. :p

Needless to say the Apes at UPS managed to shatter the lower section and the firebox. Luckily the lid is intact.

So I decided, after seeing the posts here to try to repair it. I used JB weld on the lower section, being careful not to get it on the inside surface. I used furnace cement only on the firbox, cured it at 500 degrees in my oven. I put a layer of furnace cement along the cracks on the inside of the lower section and cured it using a charcoal fire. This did cure it but all the furnace cement over the cracks above the rim of the firebox pulled away from the wall of the cooker. It appears that the furnace cement shrinks as it cures. I also had it on too thick, about 1/4" I chipped all that off, the cement below the rim of the firebox was ok. I re-coated the cracks using a THIN coat of furnace cemt and it cured without a problem.

I replaced the gasket with one I found on ebay, I put gasket on bot the top and bottom as the bottom section was irregular enough (now) so as to not seal quit right. There were still a couple gaps but those were fixed with some high temp RTV under the seal and, when the lid closed, the gaps were gone.

I will post more pictures when I can. I have yet to use it, anyone have a good recipe for a newbie?

Rich

Attachments

I'm new here, but that's because I'm the new owner of an old Imperial Kamado cooker :)
Much of my spare time goes into cooking, it's my passion. But I've never made the move to the outside kitchen in the summer.

Learned about smoking and slow cooking in BGE's and found out my father in law had an old one sitting in his garage. Something like 15 years old, only used once or twice. Pretty decent condition.

It's the exact same one & size swamprb posted in his first post here but in better condition.
I need to replace the gasket and the draft door and a general refurbushment on the exterior (rusty cart & hinges). Best guess it's clay, any sure way to tell?

Only problem is I live in Europe (Belgium) and we have a very limited supply of BGE accessories and supplies. Especially stuff like Nomex gaskets, stainless draft doors, etc. are very hard to come by. Anyone have any tips?

Also, what accessories fit these old things? Like plate setters etc.

Thanks for your help guys!

Back