THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tgstrang

Full Fledged Farker
So i had almost given up on this lady who had an old Imperial Kamado on CL. She would answer a few questions and had agreed on 2 different occasions about a good time for me to come take a look at it. On both Friday and Saturday we had agreed on a time but on both occasions she just quit responding when i asked for the address. I had pretty much given up on it until I saw Javahogs thread about his Kamado restoration and decided to make one last effort. I sent one last text and she responded "you can have it for $20". She was asking $50 for it in the ad. I actually got the address and went and grabbed it. I had asked her about the interior parts but it was obvious she didn't really even have a clue what it was so i just went over there hoping for the best. Its only got one crack on the side which looks pretty fixable. The top is all cracked up but with the cover on it its not that noticeable. The bad news is the interior parts were either missing or in pieces. There was a grate in there that looks to be the bottom charcoal grate out of a 22 in Weber. What would you all do about the fixing the top? Could i build a UDS type basket for charcoal or could i just dump lump on top of that Weber grate? I also need to find a cooking grate to fit this thing. All advice / suggestions welcomed!

Last edited:
Nice cooker. As for multiple pics. Go to "go advanced" and manage attachments or use the IMG links from Photobucket in your post body.

Nice cooker. As for multiple pics. Go to "go advanced" and manage attachments or use the IMG links from Photobucket in your post body.

Thats what i was doing and I've had no problems uploading multiple pics at one time from my desktop but it wasn't working on my ipad for some reason.

Yeah the only real problem with it is there was no firebox...well there was about 15% of it in there but not enough to piece it back together. So far my preliminary searching has only turned up one place that makes them and they want $160 for a replacement one.

Yeah the only real problem with it is there was no firebox...well there was about 15% of it in there but not enough to piece it back together. So far my preliminary searching has only turned up one place that makes them and they want $160 for a replacement one.
maybe you can build a makeshift one like what the UDS does.

Nice score . The lid was the same color on my Kamado. The vent cap is different on mine. Some of vent caps I have seen say Imperial on them. Mine does not unfortunately.

Great score!! and I know that 160 is steep for the emberholder, but I believe it plays a key part in protecting the base of your cooker from the extreme heat. Sort of like insulation. I would hesitate to build a UDS type basket without more knowledgable folks weighing in.

Get the dimentions of what the base piece should look like and possibly form your own with $20 worth of refractory cement, OR better yet, Even if it was square down there holding the fire, who cares. Actully I would take 4 thin firebricks and build a square(or a rectangle if you must trim two of them. then put a screen on it, then build another square like the first to set that next peice you have on, which supports the grill. (btw, you need to cut a good sized slot in one of the base pieces to let the air in. It would need to be the same size as the air feed hole on your base)

Oh, and noone should even know that top piece is broken, as you will always have the chimney top on, so I would leave it. . . . thats just me. I have spent countless hours reparing minor items that I realize were just fine as they were . . .

There, hope I saved you $150:rolleyes:

Smoke on Brother !

On second thought, read this thread from earlier today.

JavaHog may have the part you need!

good luck

Wierd, the link changed when I pasted, but do reach out to him . . . the thread is from earlier today. . .

The bottom of my Kamado did not got hot at all during my 2 burns up to 325 devs. U need to protect the bottom. These old Kamados cant handle the high temps like the new ones.

Back