THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I were in CA, I’d probability lean towards the Kat or maybe Cascade. That wouldn’t stop me buying one of the others if you really found one you want, but it could be a tie breaker if needed.

The Georgia cookers got some browny points from me since I live in North Florida and can go pick up anything in that state I buy. I like having the manufacturer fairly close.

Last edited:
I had my heart set on a gravity feed for years after using one of a friends 10 years ago.

When I started doing my research I was in pretty much the same place as you, gathering so much info on something that I was always going to buy on a bit of a keep of faith.

I decided my best bet was to go the used pit market.
I picked up a Humphrey's Pint from a fellow brethren off the back of his comp trailer cheap. Used it from a year. Still wanted a gravity feed.

Then I picked up a LSG Mini from another fellow brethren 6 months ago.

They are both great and importantlythere are differences. I'll be happy to tell you about the differences if you are choosing between the 2.

Not sure what the draw of the gravity feed is as either of mine can run forever and you can pretty easily dial in smoke profile by how you build the charcoal basket.

And... I still want a gravity feed.

Pulling the trigger on a specific a smoker model is difficult especially when there are a lot of semi-perfect substitutes to choose from. I definitely had a hard time pulling the trigger on my Battle Box. In the end, unless its a complete horrorshow, you're probably going to be happy with what you end up with.

I definitely debated heavily between GF and Reversed flow IVS up until the point I put the order in.

Best of luck with your choice!

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of info/opinion I was looking for. If you don't mind me asking, what insulated cabinet was your go to? Was it direct heat, or reverse flow?

Reverse flow. It's from a builder that isn't around now. It's the size of a Humphrey's down east beast but thicker metal and fully welded. The racks are also wide instead of deep. I can reach the meat without having to pull the rack all the way out and drip everywhere. I wanted a LSG but at the time they didn't have the mini. The big LSG is just too big for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A couple of times I used a leaf blower to get the gravity feed up to temp in a hurry. [emoji1787]
I ended up getting an ATC.

I too am going to throw my suggestion towards the Meadow Creek BX 50. Lots of room, built very well, and you can run it with or without water. My only suggestion is to get it with the "off road" wheel set up that they have on the BX 100; much easier for moving.
With a BBQ Guru it will run by itself.
I know that it is sometimes hard to decide, and the Brethren are here to help you as best we can. Good luck on you choice, and you future cooks!

I had the exact same issue right before I ordered a GF28. I almost pulled the trigger on a Down East Beast about a week before I put my order in. I'm sure I would have been happy either way but ultimately I'm glad I went gravity.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond so far! I have emailed Cascade and asked them for some additional information and pictures. I am intrigued by the Continental model. Pricing seems in line with everything else, and from I see, it is a solid unit. Gets good reviews, and the shipping would be less. I look forward to hearing back from them. When the Meadow Creek models are back in stock at the local store, I will be seeing those in person before deciding on anything.

I truly appreciate everyone's time, and I can't wait to finally pull the trigger. My wife is more than ready for me to choose one and shut up about it already....:blah:

Is there any flavor profile difference between IVS and GF? Wonder which burns more fuel? Whichever one has more draw will likely impart more clean smoke flavor, assuming you run wood along with lump.

Is there any flavor profile difference between IVS and GF? Wonder which burns more fuel? Whichever one has more draw will likely impart more clean smoke flavor, assuming you run wood along with lump.

From what I have read while digging into these units, there is not a lot of flavor profile difference between the GF and the IVC. Both allow for the user to decide on the amount of wood for the smoke. The IVC is just chunks in the basket with the charcoal and the GF is chunks or splits below the charcoal grate. Also, some folks will place small chunks in the chute of the GF. Neither is going to impart the flavor of a full wood burner, but both seem to allow a good profile. Also, the feedback that I am getting on fuel efficiency seems to be comparable on both types.

That being said, I only know from reading and not from experience. Everyone that has been helping out would probably know a lot more.:wink:

Choosing a good cooker can be agonizing. I went through this 4 years ago and looked at a ton of cookers before I decided on my Assassin.

For me, it's been a great cooker. I love the insulation - I can hold temp when it gets really cold here in NJ. I like the convenience of gravity feed, with no moving parts - no offense to the pellet guys here. :-D

I had my heart set on a gravity feed for years after using one of a friends 10 years ago.

When I started doing my research I was in pretty much the same place as you, gathering so much info on something that I was always going to buy on a bit of a keep of faith.

I decided my best bet was to go the used pit market.
I picked up a Humphrey's Pint from a fellow brethren off the back of his comp trailer cheap. Used it from a year. Still wanted a gravity feed.

Then I picked up a LSG Mini from another fellow brethren 6 months ago.

They are both great and importantlythere are differences. I'll be happy to tell you about the differences if you are choosing between the 2.

Not sure what the draw of the gravity feed is as either of mine can run forever and you can pretty easily dial in smoke profile by how you build the charcoal basket.

And... I still want a gravity feed.

I would love to here the difference between the reverse flow and regular flow if you would be willing to elaborate.

In my experience my insulated cabinet is closer to my offset. My GF was more of a charcoal flavor. I used the same pecan in both. I could get more airflow in my cabinet with a maze. Smaller fire... more air.

Well.....

After pestering Rob at Cascade for countless hours via phone calls and email, I was really leaning toward one of his smokers. The Continental was looking like the one. Then I looked at the Que-Deville and thought it might be big enough, but I wasn't sure.... Rob asked me a bunch of questions and walked me through a lot of what his experience has shown, and I placed my order this week for a custom Que-Deville. He is going to make it a bit wider for me to put me right in the sweet spot between the two models. I ordered the cart, off road wheels, a shelf, and extra push handle, and a handful of other custom items. I am very comfortable with the purchase, which surprises really surprises me. I thought I'd be second guessing myself like crazy.

Lord, I need help. I truly do blame all of you for this you know.... This site has made learning more about BBQ a true joy in my life. I also appreciate the constant source of honest input and helpful knowledge that all of you readily share. We are lucky to have this place!

Can't wait to get that thing home, season it and get to smokin'!

On a side note, dealing with Rob was a pleasure and a blast. Great guy who never once tried to oversell me or get me to buy anything other than what I was asking for. Great sense of humor and very patient with me as I asked a LOT of questions (some of which I am sure were dumb as hell)....:mrgreen:

Well.....

After pestering Rob at Cascade for countless hours via phone calls and email, I was really leaning toward one of his smokers. The Continental was looking like the one. Then I looked at the Que-Deville and thought it might be big enough, but I wasn't sure.... Rob asked me a bunch of questions and walked me through a lot of what his experience has shown, and I placed my order this week for a custom Que-Deville. He is going to make it a bit wider for me to put me right in the sweet spot between the two models. I ordered the cart, off road wheels, a shelf, and extra push handle, and a handful of other custom items. I am very comfortable with the purchase, which surprises really surprises me. I thought I'd be second guessing myself like crazy.

Lord, I need help. I truly do blame all of you for this you know.... This site has made learning more about BBQ a true joy in my life. I also appreciate the constant source of honest input and helpful knowledge that all of you readily share. We are lucky to have this place!

Can't wait to get that thing home, season it and get to smokin'!

On a side note, dealing with Rob was a pleasure and a blast. Great guy who never once tried to oversell me or get me to buy anything other than what I was asking for. Great sense of humor and very patient with me as I asked a LOT of questions (some of which I am sure were dumb as hell)....:mrgreen:

This site makes me want to spend more money.

"Well I don't have that smoker..."

Heck I have an IVS & this thread makes me want to get another one (but not pay for it lol). One of the biggest struggles I had, much like yourself, is sinking $1k+ into something you may not be able to get your hands on before you get it. That was certainly the case with my Humphrey's smoker.

Glad you found something that you think will make you happy. In the end that's half the battle. Knowing what you're getting into & doing your due diligence to make that correct, costly decision for yourself. If you make the right one you should be happy for some time.

I must say one thing I love, but also at times dislike about my IVS is how hands-off it is when you dial it in right. There is very little involved worked in the cook chamber once things are moving along. In a way it takes the fun out of the process, but not in a bad way though. You can do other stuff with that time lol. Its just time you're used to devoting toward tending a grill/smoker that is less stable. Thats your time now.

0866gfKl.jpg

One thing I didn't hear mentioned in here as far as downsides go is if you're running multiple meats then choosing what meat drips on what other meat is a challenge. I don't have an order or preference, however it has been an issue.

This site makes me want to spend more money.

"Well I don't have that smoker..."

Heck I have an IVS & this thread makes me want to get another one (but not pay for it lol). One of the biggest struggles I had, much like yourself, is sinking $1k+ into something you may not be able to get your hands on before you get it. That was certainly the case with my Humphrey's smoker.

Glad you found something that you think will make you happy. In the end that's half the battle. Knowing what you're getting into & doing your due diligence to make that correct, costly decision for yourself. If you make the right one you should be happy for some time.

I must say one thing I love, but also at times dislike about my IVS is how hands-off it is. There is very little involved worked in the cook chamber once things are moving along. In a way it takes the fun out of the process, but not in a bad way though. You can do other stuff with that time lol.

0866gfKl.jpg
And that's why you need multiple types of cookers. Some need one of every type...[emoji1787]

And that's why you need multiple types of cookers. Some need one of every type...[emoji1787]

Darn you for helping me pull the trigger on the next one! I guess I do deserve a deck-topper grill for my newly refinished deck.

And that's why you need multiple types of cookers. Some need one of every type.

Exactly! I just wish they were easier to hide in the back yard. I can't let my wife truly know what I am doing out there....:biggrin1:

To be honest, she is on board, but she does question why I don't get rid of some of them if I am buying new ones.....:rofl:

Back