THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ah, okay...I assumed the heat would crack the concrete over time?

It might. I kinda figured there are a lot of kits out there that use a similar dome design, just with more insulation over the top. With that, I'm not going to be keeping this thing fired for hours and hours several days a week.

Hopefully mix "high heat" diy refractory mix with help it NOT crack, but we'll see.

Awesome job so far. Following along.

As for cutting the fire brick... I bet you could use a cheap angle grinder with a masonry blade. I cut quite a bit of sandstone for a landscaping project with one. Goes through like butter but messy. Wear a mask. I have decided you a cut anything with an angle grinder.

Good luck.

For future interest... What did you use for the "high heat" concrete mix?

Awesome job so far. Following along.

As for cutting the fire brick... I bet you could use a cheap angle grinder with a masonry blade. I cut quite a bit of sandstone for a landscaping project with one. Goes through like butter but messy. Wear a mask. I have decided you a cut anything with an angle grinder.

Good luck.

For future interest... What did you use for the "high heat" concrete mix?

Good tip on the angle grinder.

For the concrete, it's a mix of perlite, Portland cement, fire clay and sand. Full refractory is $200 a bag. 😳

Good tip on the angle grinder.

For the concrete, it's a mix of perlite, Portland cement, fire clay and sand. Full refractory is $200 a bag. 😳

Can't wait to see how that holds up with high temps, moisture, and no frame structure.

Can't wait to see how that holds up with high temps, moisture, and no frame structure.

Yeah, me too! All of the ovens that were built like mine that I read up on and took inspiration from seem to be chugging right along without any major issues. If it cracks I'll patch it.

Obviously I would rather it not crack but I'm sure it will at some point and I'll deal with it when it happens. I can always build another dome, right? I have enough material to build 2 more.

Woke up at 2:30 am by this dream that kept repeating itself over and over. People were dropping off unfinished pizza ovens at my house for me to put a final smooth coat on them. I didn't know what to do with them in my dream because in reality, I haven't decided on what my final smooth coat is going to be!

Weird...

Anyway, I'm hoping that I can get started on my stand today after a trip to lowes. More pics to come!

Stay tuned...

I always wanted to build a Cobb oven but never did because the design doesn't allow for a way th water proof it due moisture issues.

I always wanted to build a Cobb oven but never did because the design doesn't allow for a way th water proof it due moisture issues.

That's a tricky one. The only way you could keep it long term would be to have it covered permanently.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! It's cool so many people have shown interest in this.

So, I have the lumber for the table. At least the 4X4s. Got all the angles marked off and measurements made. Just need to make the cuts and get it together which will hopefully happen tomorrow.

The floor of the oven will be 42" off the ground. I need it to be about the height of the lowest part of my rib cage. And yes, the lowest part of my rib cage is an official measurement.

Yes I didn't want to build a roof over it but I will recommend researching the insulated Cobb oven base with glass bottles packed in it for your oven under the fire bricks.

Yes I didn't want to build a roof over it but I will recommend researching the insulated Cobb oven base with glass bottles packed in it for your oven under the fire bricks.

I've seen that and if I were building a permanent oven I would incorporate something like that. My plan for the base is a wood bottom, fire board on top of that, perlite/concrete mix on top of that, firebrick and oven.

Being that this design is portable, I need to consider weight in all areas.

Been enjoying this thread as I love to make stuff like this. I've got an XL egg and love the pizza on it but a wood fired pizza oven...... I might have a new project in my future. Thanks for the inspiration.

Been enjoying this thread as I love to make stuff like this. I've got an XL egg and love the pizza on it but a wood fired pizza oven...... I might have a new project in my future. Thanks for the inspiration.

I know the feeling. I always felt I needed more than what my medium egg could produce. Watching pizzas come out of a wood fired oven with a nice puffy crust and perfect char in 90 seconds was the kicker. Like I said at the beginning, my egg could crank out some good pizza, but you don't get the same result by cooking it for 8 minutes.

You should build one! :wink:

Back