If anyone is looking for a quality smoker here in SoCal, read this:

gambler

Knows what a fatty is.
If anyone is looking for a quality smoker here in SoCal, read this:

I've been researching for a quality pit builder who has reasonable prices here in California. More preferably within driving distance from me. So really, I was hoping to find one here in SoCal. Seems as though most of my searches turned up results in Bakersfield and further North. The few I found down here were a bit pricey. Then I found out about JH Smokers here on this forum from an older thread. So I headed out to JH Smokers in Lake Mathews, CA this morning to check out his builds. His pits are solid, high quality, and reasonably priced. His shop is on his property, so he doesn't have high overhead. I ended up putting down a deposit on a 48"X24" RF smoker. He said he'll have it done in about 6-8 weeks. Justin the owner is a super cool guy. He was very helpful and knowledgeable with answering all my questions. He has a 36"X20" RF smoker finished and ready to go in his shop that I said I would post here in case anyone is interested. His cash price is $1,300. If anyone is interested, check out his website JHsmokers.com for contact info.

FYI the smoke stack goes down into the cooking chamber so it is in between the upper and lower grate for a better draw. Can't see that from my pics.

Here are some pics:

Last edited:
Looks like quality construction.
I've noticed that most mom and pop smoker builders seem to skimp on the casters and wheels.

Looks like a nice cooker, is the dimension the over all CC size or the cooking grate size?

Looks like a nice cooker, is the dimension the over all CC size or the cooking grate size?

The CC is 36" wide, the cooking grates are 24" wide. I asked him why he has 6" on each side of the door, instead of making the door wider to get wider cooking grates in there, and he said that from his experience, keeping the grates away from where the smoke enters and leaves the CC helps the smoke and heat draw more efficiently. I did ask him however, to add an inch to either side of the door on the one he's building for me so that my grates can be 2" wider than he normally makes them. On his 48" cookers, his grates are normally 36" wide, but mine will be 38" wide. I figured I'd get a little more square inch of cooking space without messing up the draw.

The CC is 36" wide, the cooking grates are 24" wide. I asked him why he has 6" on each side of the door, instead of making the door wider to get wider cooking grates in there, and he said that from his experience, keeping the grates away from where the smoke enters and leaves the CC helps the smoke and heat draw more efficiently. I did ask him however, to add an inch to either side of the door on the one he's building for me so that my grates can be 2" wider than he normally makes them. On his 48" cookers, his grates are normally 36" wide, but mine will be 38" wide. I figured I'd get a little more square inch of cooking space without messing up the draw.

Y'know that construction idea makes sense on the draw. I do like your idea of making the draw area just a tad smaller to get more grate space.

Ya know, I was lookin this over several times.
It's a damn nice build!
1st point - No gasket needs be applied. And he puts clamps on the door so it will continue to keep it's tight fit.

My only wonder is the grate in the firebox. I've run many fires in my life, and I know even cast iron evaporates under the hells fire and brimstone of use.
So the expanded metal causes me some question.
Is the center part loose and replaceable? Or the entire firebox grate easily replaced a few years down the trail?

Does anybody line their fireboxes with stove brick? Most airtight stoves have firebrick lining under and up the sides to save the firebox from burning out.
Since that is such a nice big firebox, seems to me is could have some stove brick laid in. Then, that cooker could last a lifetime.
That would be something I would do, or ask about.
Firebrick lining does NOT need cement to hold it. The ash actually acts as mortar to hold the bricks. Then years from now, they can be removed and replaced.

Ohs4!t, I forgot the link: https://www.amazon.com/US-Stove-FBP6E-FireBrick-6-Pack/dp/B07MZ7F5NT
Or: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...brick.TRS0&_nkw=insulating+firebrick&_sacat=0

But that is my only suggestion. Well, no. I'd lose the angle iron handle, and use a hook rod to drag it and push it back.
Otherwise, Thanks for pointing out local builders.
Damn nice looking Bar-B-Que! Enjoy!

Last edited:
My only wonder is the grate in the firebox. I've run many fires in my life, and I know even cast iron evaporates under the hells fire and brimstone of use.
So the expanded metal causes me some question.
Is the center part loose and replaceable? Or the entire firebox grate easily replaced a few years down the trail?

So there are two layers of expanded metal laid crosswise over each other and welded to the angle iron frame. Yeah, the charcoal grate isn’t gonna last forever, but but it’s the cheapest thing to replace. You can even use the heavy duty cast iron grates you would use in a fireplace.

Back