THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

toadhunter911

is one Smokin' Farker
For some unexplained reason, I have agreed to cook a traditional British fish and chips dinner for 40 people at church Friday evening. I have no idea how much fish to buy. I want to do cod, beer battered, about 2-3 ounce pieces. Also not sure how much potato to buy. HELP!!!

ps...at least someone else is bringing cole slaw and a big trifle for dessert. :loco:

Six ounces per person is a bit light. I would figure 3 3oz. pieces as a serving. 25# or a bit more should get you what you need and a little extra. Being for church, you should know the crowd a bit... if they all like to eat like I do, I would get 30# (or more) of fish.

On a side note, don't forget the malt vinegar!

Not alot of big eaters there. Talked to my fish monger, who supplies alot of churches during lent, and he recommended 20# of cod. Picking it up tomorrow.

Last i heard from you, you were cooking a mess o catfish!

Same portion sizes as then.

Branching out Brother. New church, new tastes!:grin:

Trying something new for our monthly movie night. Last month we did a baseball movie and served hot dogs and it was a huge hit. This month's movie is an English story ("Amazing Grace"), so they want fish and chips! I have 5 table top fryers ready to go under the big hood in the church kitchen.

3 of the five fryers all set-up, circuits tested, and ready to go tomorrow.

389354_3192883312239_1570606209_32250916_1639475060_n.jpg

glad it worked out i'm new to this will be starting a bbq catering business in fall

what did you do with the potatoes? How much did you get? Where is the best place to get food supplies? a vendor for restaurants? cosco?
on the fryers where do you get your cooking equipment from?

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Last edited by a moderator:
glad it worked out i'm new to this will be starting a bbq catering business in fall

what did you do with the potatoes? How much did you get? Where is the best place to get food supplies? a vendor for restaurants? cosco?
on the fryers where do you get your cooking equipment from?

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

I went with a 30# case of steak fries from Gordons (GFS), and used 25# for the cook. They were a huge hit.

I bought the fryers from amazon.com. They are Aroma brand double friers and cost $64.88 each (free shipping with a prime account).

Since I'm just some guy cooking for the folks at church, I use GFS, Sam's, and Costco for all my supplies. However, we are considering doing this on a regular basis soon.

Next up is Creole fried chicken, red beans and rice, and collards next Friday night, and 16 butts for pulled pork and hog-apple beans for our concert/bbq Saturday.

Back