THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

toddrhodes

Knows what a fatty is.
Not my best pic but I was more focused on the fish. The "chips" weren't really a priority either - these are just air-fried restaurant fries. Still good, but not exactly fancy.

But, I keep trying to find a dry breading I like on thin whitefish (pollock mostly). Local place makes a really great fish dinner but we can't get out of there for under $50 these days and while I am almost certain it's a cornmeal style breading, I have not been able to get close to replicating it at home.

Anywho, I decided to give myself a safety net in case this dry breading experiment failed (it did) and went with a decent beer batter recipe from Americas Test Kitchen. Turns out - it's the best fish I've made (top-right in pic). And I also have never done a beer battered fish where you dredge, batter, then dredge again. But it worked and made for a nice, crunchy, layered crust. So I'll be doing that again and... still on the lookout for a dry breading I like.
The 3rd piece in the pic was just dredge > batter > fry, no 2nd dredge step. That's how I typically do it, but will add that 2nd dredge in from now on.

UHystVNh.png

Looks good. ATK is usually pretty good when it comes to their recipes. I will give that one a try for sure. Where I live in New England we can get a very good fish breading that I use on onion rings as well. Sorry don’t have any on hand to get you the name. I will take a picture and post here when I can.

Back