THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My routine..On the Smoker at 7pm get my color and bark, and 11pm it goes in the oven at 175 wrapped until I wake up that morning and pull it out and start pulling 2 hours after that. I might not be a Texas pitmaster, but nobody is complaining..
Intrigued. Before it goes in the oven, what do you wrap it in?

Something is going on... I've found My Pitmaker offset cooking at 250 cooked butts quite a bit faster than my Limo Jr. running at the same temp. I suspect it is due to more airflow going over the meat. Are you running your vents open with a small fire?

I run my smokestack wide open and have the firebox lid about halfway open I don't bother using the damper on the firebox door

I've got an old Brinkmann 16 inch offset smoker. My assumption has always been that larger offsets are easier to deal with.

In any event, I solved the problem with an Assassin gravity fed smoker and haven't looked back.

The stack might be pulling air too fast. It is pretty large.

Never had an issue whatsoever. Most of us with offsets run 275-300... I light a fire before dawn and sit there and relax all day tossing splits when needed.

All day?
I believe that is what the OP is trying to avoid..

I run my smokestack wide open and have the firebox lid about halfway open I don't bother using the damper on the firebox door

You are losing a lot of heat and energy by controlling your fire with the firebox lid half way open. Try closing the firebox lid and use the firebox door and/or damper instead. Good luck!

Last edited:
I do shorter cooks in my offset. I have a couple friends in the DFW Metroplex both have high end offsets Shirley, Jambo, Big Phil’s etc. the heat humidity index can easily be 105-112*. Both have told me on long cooks they’ll do the first 4-6 hours on their Offset and either oven finish or use another cooker. One does a lot of pork butts for friends and neighbors. He smokes offset to 165-179 IT wraps in oven safe cellophane for a couple days in fridge then oven finishes. I have a low cost offset called Oklahoma Joe Highland. It would do great in those 10-12 hour cooks, I just don’t want to.
Keep it and do shorter cooks for a while see if you fall in love with it again. Even if you use it as yard art chiminea an offset screams real bbq

You're really only looking for that initial 2-4 hours of smoke for the color/flavor. After that its just "heat" You might want to switch to your new Pit Boss after a few hours next time you do a butt or brisket.

if you are not using a thermometer at the grate by the meat, I suspect the built in
therm is lying to you and causing your issue.

I found the more open the exhaust stack the colder the grate is from the temp gauge.

it is the only thing that explains your cook time

Is there such a thing as getting too much air flow? I've been using that kiln dried wood by Kingsford and some of that hickory is really hard/dense and doesn't burn with a crap. I need a dedicate a portion of my backyard to seasoning a couple cords of white oak. In Georgia wood dealers are hustlers a majority of it is green

Yes. I see a couple things. Too much airflow can make the cook chamber act more like a pipe to convey the heat and smoke out of the cook chamber to swiftly. I read that you keep the fire box lid 1/2 open and do not use the door.

This will let a significant amount of heat out the lid and not through the cook chamber. It is also part of you having trouble getting the wood to burn. Fire like the air coming in the bottom or at least across the side - not to top.

It is OK to open the door some if you need more air, but keep the lid closed.

I would work on the fire issue first and the exhaust might be OK. Maybe re-arrainge the bricks to allow air under the fire and give it a try?

That is a really long time for a butt that size, something sounds off for sure.

I don't have it totally figured out yet but i've noticed days with alot of moisture in the air really adds to my cook times. Warmer days help speed the cook up. I need to take better notes and dial it in. I always thought 250 degrees was 250 degrees. My pit is a 250 gallon and i'd say 1hr 15min per pound is a pretty typical cook but the above can make that vary for sure.

I would continue to use the Old Country just from now on if it isn't where you want it in about 8hrs, put it in the oven to finish. It's not going to take anymore smoke after that long and the oven will let you rest.

Burn a small hot fire and don’t sweat if it swings from 250-325. After a couple of hours wrap in foil and throw it in the oven at 300-325. Let rest for a few hours and call it good.

I would also add that the cooker itself matters somewhat…my workhorse 1975 cooks quicker than any other cooker I have had when running around 275 or so. So much convection in there is all I can come up with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
My offset cooks quicker than my WSM. That’s most certainly down to the average cooking temp being higher on the offset than the WSM - which holds temp within a couple of degrees with the BBQ Guru

Back