THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
A while back my 85 year old Mother sat at my table eating her 4th rib that I’d labored over for hours. She exclaimed “ Rib Crib has the best ribs I’ve ever eaten “. I’m not shocked what she says anymore (though I broke her plate on ribs as a note to myself “. My town has a large number of Q joints, some chains, some independent. So I got to wondering, have Q joints upped their game in the years I’ve avoided them?? Not to often—but once twice a year I’d get spicy sausage and sides, never getting brisket ribs pork chicken etc.
After self reflection and some mid shelf whiskey I suggested to the Bride that once or twice per month or 6 weeks we visit a local Q Joint and split a combo plate.
Tyler’s, Spicy Mike’s, Rudy’s and today Rib Crib. We ordered take out and split the three meat combo of ribs, brisket and polish sausage. Sides of potato salad (almost said tatoe) makes me smile and Mac n cheese.

I think Food reviews are very subjective. So I won’t go there. We ate in the perfect environment. No loudness rudeness nose blowing booger yankers- our kitchen table.

Just a thought- Q-Joints have upped their game over the last 10 Years. . They’ve all been different but all very good.
Don’t be afraid to drop the snobbishness and support your local Q Joint.

Last edited:
I hear ya. There are a couple 'hood type BBQ joints around here that ain't so artisinal, but still pretty good. Cool old school spots, nice people & the food is good enough for once in a while. The meat does neeed a little sauce - big farkin deal. Everything doesn't have to be precious all the time - easy & fun are qualities worth considering sometimes.

& yeah - links are usually the way to go at these spots! I'll always check out the ribs. I start getting cautious when it comes to the larger cut beef and pork offerings.

So far, and it’s been quite enjoyable are the differences in potato salad, no two alike. Sweet, vinegar, mustard, mayo, chunk, creamy etc. The camera angle makes the plate look bigger than it is. You really savor and taste a couple bites more than a bowl to yourself like ice cream.

I’ll have to take your word and try. I’m definitely a snob. Someone suggests a bbq resatuarant and I’m ordering chopped brisket. It’s hard to mess that up. With a good sliced onion and some jalapeños.

For as much as you cook with fire I think you deserve a day off every now and then.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

my local bbq joint is dickies- lets say id rather eat $1 hot dogs from the hit dog cart outside lowes than eat at dickies

my local bbq joint is dickies- lets say id rather eat $1 hot dogs from the hit dog cart outside lowes than eat at dickies

We had one open a couple miles away within the last year or so. I’ve not been there as yet.

We had a Famous Dave’s for a short while. We had heard great things about their Mac n cheese. I never had anything from there other than M&C. Wife would buy a quart st a time.

I miss it. Bride has tried the online knock off several times but something is missing.

BTW- the online knock off is very good as well

I think we need to wait 20 more years or so down here

Titch, it has taken over 20 years to get GOOD bbq here. There is tons of acceptable if not inspiring pulled pork, but I'd rather have a cheeseburger and a beer. Dickies is up here now and their jalapeno smoked sausage is great. Brisket is lame, pulled pork is OK.

Several other BBQ joints, but all mediocre. It has just been the last few weeks I found one that has brisket well worth eating.

Where in Carrollton do you live? There's Old House BBQ and Marshall's BBQ in Farmer's Branch. Both a notch above Dickey's.

We had one open a couple miles away within the last year or so. I’ve not been there as yet.

I'll drive to the panhandle to slap some sense into you if you like what Dickey's put out. Fa real! We have a term we use in the finance industry for that and it's called diminished capacity :heh:

Except the sausage. They are alright.

I'd tell that cranky 'ol broad if she's gonna bad mouth your home cooked ribs that she can just hop her hiney in her car and get her own.

That's what I'd tell my mom, if she were still with us...
Ed

I'd tell that cranky 'ol broad if she's gonna bad mouth your home cooked ribs that she can just hop her hiney in her car and get her own.

That's what I'd tell my mom, if she were still with us...
Ed

One of the best signs in an Amarillo restaurant is at The Oyster Bar

“If our food does not meet your expectations, Long John Silvers is right down the street”. And it is :)

I used to eat there several times per month. But cancelling supper and severely limiting battered fried foods, not so often anymore.

I have to travel for work several times a year so I do look for places to try when away from home.

Last week we had all group scheduled meals and they said BBQ for Wednesday night.
Turned out to be at a golf course and there was no fire or smoke involved. just liquid smoke :puke:

Couldn't down the chicken or ribs. I ate the fish, slaw, and cornbread.

Where in Carrollton do you live? There's Old House BBQ and Marshall's BBQ in Farmer's Branch. Both a notch above Dickey's.

Instagram is a wealth of knowledge on Q Joints

Daniel Vaughn the Texas Monthly BBQ editor has IG and Twitter. Pictures mostly with usually a brief one sentence or less quip. He lives in DFW Metroplex. That area has a lifetime of Q Joints to explore

Back