THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Yes. In Save A Lot. Just down the sidewalk from the Food Stamp Office where I work in some God Forsaken Belz Properties Strip Mall on Jackson Avenue in North Memphis. Yes. It's my hood. On the fringe of Nutbush, where I live. We gots ALL kinda folks here. Mexicans and Central Americans, South East Asians, just a few blocks over Arabs in Berclair. African and European Americans. Both groups pretty country. And let me tell you about Save A Lot. Cheap prices on beef. Sort of. But, said beef is ALL ungraded. All it has is the USDA Inspected sticker. None of it worth buying. Then, they had a wonderful selection of pork necks, and mixed chops that actually had some marbling in them so I was tempted. The pork necks would be most excellent smoked. Then, there are the groceries. The brands that look like real brands, but aren't, and come at a discount. Then, there are the oddities. I present the object of my WTF in the Save A Lot moment.

kRAUTtATERsALAD_zps92750606.jpg

Yessir. German Potato Salad...in a CAN. I did not know such a thing existed, let alone ever having imagined there should even BE such a thing. Yet, there it was.

Do you know what the going rate for a can of German Potato Salad is at the Save A Lot? Seventy...nine...cents. So I bought one. Had to. We're having it tonight with sandwiches. Oh Freaking Boy. :mrgreen:

Anybody else have one of these moments?

I used to take cans of that and three bean salad to work. Needed no refrigeration, and was a change from potato chips.

We used to have the same thing up in Wisconsin when I was in college. German Potato Salad in a can with one of those plain private labels that only said what it was. And extremely cheap. Was a nice addition to a poor college students diet!

I love how that can has a description in Spanish as well.

Cheap prices on beef. Sort of. But, said beef is ALL ungraded. All it has is the USDA Inspected sticker.

Cannot speak for Save A Lot.. BUt have a place close to home that runs ridiculous sales on steaks of "inspected" beef.. If you know someone there or what you are looking at which I am sure you do, you would be shocked what you can get for 1/3 to 1/4 the price compared to other establishments..

Actually the German Potato salad we buy at our local Wally World, and Publix, along with Kroger is quite good for a caned product. It is tangy and well flavored. Goes great with some good Polish Kielbasa and sourcrout. Not something you want on a regular basis, but good enough when you don't want to cook an elaborate meal. Quick and out of a can, (except the Kielbasa of course) ready in about 15 minutes. Follow with your favorite antacid for desert if you have a sensitive stomach. :mrgreen:

Read is the local brand available here and even has a suggestion on the label on how to enjoy with some good Bar B Que! Can't beat that! Try it, you might be surprised and like it!

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

Actually the German Potato salad we buy at our local Wally World, and Publix, along with Kroger is quite good for a caned product. It is tangy and well flavored. Goes great with some good Polish Kielbasa and sourcrout. Not something you want on a regular basis, but good enough when you don't want to cook an elaborate meal. Quick and out of a can, (except the Kielbasa of course) ready in about 15 minutes. Follow with your favorite antacid for desert if you have a sensitive stomach. :mrgreen:

Read is the local brand available here and even has a suggestion on the label on how to enjoy with some good Bar B Que! Can't beat that! Try it, you might be surprised and like it!

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

I don't know about their German potato salad, but Kroger's regular old mayo potato salad is pretty good. I still like the emotional bonus of making my own -- that, and the bacon bits I put in mine -- but I could eat a bucket of Kroger's potato salad in a weekend, and be happy about it.

CD

Back