THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You never, ever know..........

Most likely it's goofy, but I always keep my eyes open in the dollar stores & one-off groceries...................

These were a prize:

KenBBQ4242011029.jpg

Pinch end Vietnamese sausage, Brazilian beef......these things were great & being a connoisseur of such stuff, I was surprized............

Key component of the almost all meat pizza:

KenBBQ4242011032.jpg

KenBBQ4242011038.jpg

3-10-2013Bacon051.jpg

Doctor that s*!t up, you may have found a winner !!!

Cannot speak for Save A Lot.. BUt have a place close to home that runs ridiculous sales on steaks of "inspected" beef.. If you know someone there or what you are looking at which I am sure you do, you would be shocked what you can get for 1/3 to 1/4 the price compared to other establishments..

This is true. Yesterday I saw some lovely chuck steaks and chuck mock tenders that appeared worth the coin. No butcher on site though as everything is precut from their distributor at this store (It's a small one, little larger than an average strip mall dollar store) and always too thin. Still, I was tempted and if I had a refrigerator in my cubicle I'd have picked up a package. Usually though the "better" cuts have almost no fat content with little to no marbling. Those pork necks though, I might go back for some of those. Their turkey necks are cheap too.

NOW! As to the German Potato Salad in a can. I had read the list of ingredients, which was non offensive and offered at least decent nutritional value. Too much sugar though as the third ingredient down, but at least it wasn't HFCS. So, last night was pretty much fend for yourself at dinner and I opened up the can, drained it a little and dumped the contents in a bowl and nuked it. Needed a little salt, and I added a few black olives. It was edible. Way too sweet, but still, basic institutional food. Might make a decent get in the mood dish for watching Orange Is The New Black. Redhot didn't try any after she asked how it was and I paused before answering...then decided she didn't want any just based on that pause. She knows me. Something about how I say the word "um...". But, I was hungry and wound up eating about two thirds of the can with my sandwich, tossing the rest as it wasn't worth taking up precious fridge space.

Last edited:
If you just gotta do it,

I reccommend Chicken in a can to go with the Potato salad in a can! :wink:

My wife (German) and I (Czech), have been eating the stuff for as long as we can remember. Love it! Different brand though. Nice and tangy and not too sweet. A must have with brats. :thumb:

I recently saw canned German Potato Salad here at Aldi, which might be similar to Save A Lot (not sure). It's the first I remember seeing it there (or anywhere). I was curious, but didn't pick it up. Mostly because of the potatoes (carbs and all).

My wife (German) and I (Czech), have been eating the stuff for as long as we can remember. Love it! Different brand though. Nice and tangy and not too sweet. A must have with brats. :thumb:

My Mom's family name is Petermann so I can definitely understand the attraction. Pretty sure the brand makes a difference as this chit was WAAAAY too sweet and not enough vinegar to balance it out. Now that I know the stuff even exists I may experiment if I see different ones.

Probably not, but I used to say I'd never get married either so...

NOW! As to the German Potato Salad in a can. I had read the list of ingredients, which was non offensive and offered at least decent nutritional value. Too much sugar though as the third ingredient down, but at least it wasn't HFCS. So, last night was pretty much fend for yourself at dinner and I opened up the can, drained it a little and dumped the contents in a bowl and nuked it. Needed a little salt, and I added a few black olives. It was edible. Way too sweet, but still, basic institutional food. Might make a decent get in the mood dish for watching Orange Is The New Black. Redhot didn't try any after she asked how it was and I paused before answering...then decided she didn't want any just based on that pause. She knows me. Something about how I say the word "um...". But, I was hungry and wound up eating about two thirds of the can with my sandwich, tossing the rest as it wasn't worth taking up precious fridge space.

Thanks for the reportage Guerry! I've not tasted canned German tato salad. Not sure if I've even seen it before. Will check the store next time I'm there. :)

Yes. In Save A Lot. Just down the sidewalk from the Food Stamp Office where I work in some God Forsaken Belz Properties Strip Mall on Jackson Avenue in North Memphis. Yes. It's my hood. On the fringe of Nutbush, where I live. We gots ALL kinda folks here. Mexicans and Central Americans, South East Asians, just a few blocks over Arabs in Berclair. African and European Americans. Both groups pretty country. And let me tell you about Save A Lot. Cheap prices on beef. Sort of. But, said beef is ALL ungraded. All it has is the USDA Inspected sticker. None of it worth buying. Then, they had a wonderful selection of pork necks, and mixed chops that actually had some marbling in them so I was tempted. The pork necks would be most excellent smoked. Then, there are the groceries. The brands that look like real brands, but aren't, and come at a discount. Then, there are the oddities. I present the object of my WTF in the Save A Lot moment.

kRAUTtATERsALAD_zps92750606.jpg

Yessir. German Potato Salad...in a CAN. I did not know such a thing existed, let alone ever having imagined there should even BE such a thing. Yet, there it was.

Do you know what the going rate for a can of German Potato Salad is at the Save A Lot? Seventy...nine...cents. So I bought one. Had to. We're having it tonight with sandwiches. Oh Freaking Boy. :mrgreen:

Anybody else have one of these moments?
There seems to be some dust collected on the top of that can makes one wonder how long it sat on the shelf. :mrgreen:

One of my favorite things to eat growing up was potted meat sandwiches.
pottedmeat.jpg

It was cheap was like 40 cents a can and made four sandwiches and tasted good.

Back