THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This looks great. It's tough to leave the store around here without picking up a pork loin when it's $1.67/lb.

How does this jerk recipe compare to Walkerswood?

They're very similar. The other one I found that I really liked is Island Spice. Both are dang close to this.

Thanks for the comparison. I had planned on doing jerk pork very soon, but usually go with fattier chops or blade steaks. But, this gives me a great and cheap idea! I especially like the ability to make thin slices. I see a jerk pork salad in my future!

On a side note. Everybody loves jerk chicken, but jerk pork and oxtail stew are by far my favorite "Jamaican" items. They should be on more menus acrous the country.

Super-fabulous

that looks great and is the most popular recipe in my house. I like all of Raichlens ideas in the BBQ Bible too. I also use that recipe on riblets and chicken. We serve it along side some coconut flavored beans and rice. Some times I put in an extra pepper or two, but I have some sissies in my family when it comes to heat so usually only 2 or 3. :thumb:

Thanks for the comparison. I had planned on doing jerk pork very soon, but usually go with fattier chops or blade steaks. But, this gives me a great and cheap idea! I especially like the ability to make thin slices. I see a jerk pork salad in my future!

On a side note. Everybody loves jerk chicken, but jerk pork and oxtail stew are by far my favorite "Jamaican" items. They should be on more menus acrous the country.

Chris I couldn't agree more. I think Jerk pork beats the hell outta chicken any day of the week!

Looks pretty spot on. :thumb: Personally I find the fattier cuts work better for jerk. I usually use shoulder and belly (Absolutely nothing wrong with loin tho, its all relative). But I do find to add that smokiness that goes so well with jerk you need that fat to keep the pork moist, unless you eagle watching that loin so it doesn't start to dry out. :heh:

You nailed it tho! Looks great!
Cheers

Took me a while to open this thread. :shocked:

Glad I did though - great looking cook there! Now that my boys are a little older they are getting into eating things with a kick, so I can cook stuff like this more and more - thanks for posting!

Looks pretty spot on. :thumb: Personally I find the fattier cuts work better for jerk. I usually use shoulder and belly (Absolutely nothing wrong with loin tho, its all relative). But I do find to add that smokiness that goes so well with jerk you need that fat to keep the pork moist, unless you eagle watching that loin so it doesn't start to dry out. :heh:

You nailed it tho! Looks great!
Cheers

Thanks Phrasty! I love it on the fatty cuts, the wife, not so much.. Never tried it on a belly, but its on the list now, that sounds great!

That jerk looks amazing!

I'm presently trying to salvage some thick-cut loin chops that I jerked then left a bit too long in the UDS(extra carbon - yum). Giving the a bit of a braise in some ginger beer and jerk bbq sauce. I'm hoping for an edible jerk burnt end.

No way any of it will turn out as nice as yours!

Wow, that looks and sounds great. I was a little shocked to see that many Habanero's in the recipe. Don't get me wrong, I love spicy, but that just sounds like a lot. Where would you put this on a spiciness scale?

WOW....that looks killer. How long would you estimate the cook time was?

It was cooked on a full bed of KBB and cherry chunks.. Dang hot fire. The loin was a hair under 2" thick probably.. It took about 15-20 minutes, flipping often. You really gotta watch it if you leave the fat on it. I pulled it when the IT hit 135 and let it coast the rest the way.

Wow, that looks and sounds great. I was a little shocked to see that many Habanero's in the recipe. Don't get me wrong, I love spicy, but that just sounds like a lot. Where would you put this on a spiciness scale?

Its not as hot as you would expect, but it has a lot of kick for sure. The Mrs said this was a good amount of heat, and the kids both scarfed it. I'm not sure if that's a good measure for you either, as my whole family has grown used to my spicy cooking... You will totally be fine in the 4-6 pepper range as starting point. Good heat, great flavor. You never know how hot the peppers will be either.. I'm thinking these may have been a little mild for habaneros. I don't feel like I ever make it hot enough unless the Mrs is complaining...

I have made it with 16+ peppers in it. Not for the faint of heart. I loved it, family wouldn't eat it, which was fine by me.

Its not as hot as you would expect, but it has a lot of kick for sure. The Mrs said this was a good amount of heat, and the kids both scarfed it. I'm not sure if that's a good measure for you either, as my whole family has grown used to my spicy cooking... You will totally be fine in the 4-6 pepper range as starting point. Good heat, great flavor. You never know how hot the peppers will be either.. I'm thinking these may have been a little mild for habaneros. I don't feel like I ever make it hot enough unless the Mrs is complaining...

I have made it with 16+ peppers in it. Not for the faint of heart. I loved it, family wouldn't eat it, which was fine by me.

Thanks SD! I am sure we could handle it if the kids can. I will have to try it the way written and I can add more next time if needed.

Back