THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Made some jerk pork loin today. Loins were on sale for under 2 bucks a lb, and this is my absolute favorite way to prepare them. It's a summer staple in my house, especially when we have company coming. Its a crowd pleaser, and this is the most authentic I have found yet.. (when we went to Jamaica, All I ate for a week was Jerk.. Loooove it!)

Here's my loin. It was quite large (12lbs..) I took a section off and froze it for another meal..

Next I butterflied it and hammered it to an equal thickness for better cooking

Now, a little origin lesson. Anybody know why they call it Jerk? Jerk comes from the Jamaican patois word, Juk, meaning, "to stab" When they prepare whole hog in Jamaica, they first stab the ever loving crap out of it with sticks, so the marinade will penetrate better... so, I do too.. just with an expensive knife instead of sticks

Now for the marinade.. I use Steven Raichlen's..

Scotch Bonnets ( I use 8-10 Habaneros)
2 bunches scallions
Sm Yellow Onion
1 chunk ginger (bout an inch)
3-5 cloves Garlic
Fresh Thyme
2 1/2 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
3 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar

Everybody in the chopper

Covered my loin in the mixture using a spatula, forcing marinade into the holes as much as possible

Bout 6 hours later, pull Mr. Loin out, clean him of, and dust with a little spog. You really don't need to put much seasoning on this. The Flavor is already there..

On a scorching hot fire

Got a good crust

After a rest. This has got to be one of the most flavorful, juiciest way to prepare pork. So Farkin good.

Served with a summery Hawaiian macaroni salad, which was really a nice compliment to the spicy savory pork.

Thanks for lookin

Back