THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm almost afraid to let this be my first post..

So, I was researching (ie..surfing, etc) for some topic or other, and stumbled into this topic. I was immediately intrigued by, and really enjoyed all the "meat purists" comments. You know who you are. ;-)

I decided to look for reviews on this item. I found a few, very mixed, but for the most part folks said they were "tasty", "well worth a buck", and one guy gave them 9 out of 10. Now, I was really intrigued, so of course I had to head to Dollar Tree, and try them for myself.

Having only been in a Dollar Tree once or twice in my life I decided to stroll and peruse down every single aisle FIRST, to see what bargains lay in wait, prior to putting anything frozen in my cart. There is a lot of decent bargains in there to be sure.

When I got to the frozen section and began looking it over, I recalled some of the items that one youtube video referred to, and it gave me a chuckle. He went through a 10 best/worst foods from Dollar Tree video, and I found it very informative, and helpful to know what foods to absolutely stay away from. He even makes a comment something to the effect of "from the company that brought us the $1 Ribeye", he had higher hopes for a certain item, but was disappointed.

I grabbed a few of the $1 ribeyes, and a few other meat items that he had talked about in his video, such as Pork Loin Chops, and Pork Riblets. I came home and fired up the gas side of my grill and proceded to grill 2 of the $1 Ribeyes (they're only 3.5 oz, and I like to eat), and 1 of the Pork Loin Chops. I seasoned each with only salt and pepper.

The finished product, in my humble opinion, was very tasty, tender, very chewable, not fibrous and stringy as I've experienced in some low cost meat. All came out juicy and tender, the pork chop was juicy, as well.

I was telling a friend about it the next day, and I ran over to his local Dollar Tree, and grabbed a bag full, and we made steak sandwiches for lunch. Delicious. I left a few behind for his wife to try, and she is a very, very picky, and opinionated eater..Both of them said they were amazed, and they tasted really good, and they were expecting otherwise. :)

I work on the road for most of the year, in a camper, for work, and there are Dollar Tree's just about everywhere. This makes for a nice, cost conscious dining opportunity to keep travel costs down, and even for a nice, quick lunch to take to work. Just a quick, my few cents, on the subject. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, if you made it this far..

Peace,

Dillman

@rwalters I bet the rib-eyes would have tasted better if you had cooked them on the MAK. Lol.

Or use the MAK and Weber together for a reverse sear. 2 mins of low n slow on the MAK followed by a 30/sec/side sear on the kettle... the ULTIMATE treatment of the $1 ribeye... lol. Maybe I’ll even rehydrate some freeze dried mushrooms to top it off [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

Now we need to have a Dollar tree $1 ribeye cooking competition.

Let’s see who can make the best looking meal out of a Dollar Tree $1 ribeye. All items and ingredients on the judging plate must be from Dollar tree. A picture of the finished plate and itemized receipt from Dollar tree must accompany your entry. You get extra points if you submit a video of someone actually eating the meal.

This would be a pretty cheap contest to put on, and I imagine it would take some skill, creativity, and a strong stomach to win. LOL!

Chris

Let’s see who can make the best looking meal out of a Dollar Tree $1 ribeye. All items and ingredients on the judging plate must be from Dollar tree. A picture of the finished plate and itemized receipt from Dollar tree must accompany your entry. You get extra points if you submit a video of someone actually eating the meal.

This would be a pretty cheap contest to put on, and I imagine it would take some skill, creativity, and a strong stomach to win. LOL!

Chris

I’ll enter IF the grand prize is an A5 Wagyu steak of my choice :)

I’ll enter IF the grand prize is an A5 Wagyu steak of my choice :)

You mean a Dollar tree trophy isn’t enough? LOL.

images

Chris
I like this idea. I'm pretty sure the judging would be heavily weighted on appearance though. Probably should judge on facial expression, smell and edibility.

Based on the ingredients list any of us that has eaten fast food has consumed far worse. I'm guessing these would make an excellent tasting cheese steak. With that said I'll pass on them and stick to my grass fed grass finished beef.

Dollar Tree will have to break from the everything’s a dollar slogan to compete with Dollar General Store’s $4 70% bromelain injected briskets.

Back