THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ariettabob

Found some matches.
Hi All, I'm doing a brisket for Sunday's game. I've only done a couple of them before this, and none this large. Also, I've never done one that had a scheduled dinner time. My brisket is 13.5lbs, untrimmed, so I'm figuring round numbers 12lbs in the smoker. I know It will be done when it's done, time doesn't dictate when I pull it off, but I need some sort of starting place. Using a general rule of 1.5hrs/lb I get 18hrs smoke time, then I rest it for 2+ hours I'm thinking. There's 20 hours. Am I close?

I really want to eat before the game rather than be prepping the dinner at kickoff. Does 20hrs sound reasonable? Should I plan on 22hrs and rest longer if needed? I don't know how long I can rest it without consequences or what those consequences would be other than a cold brisket. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi All, I'm doing a brisket for Sunday's game. I've only done a couple of them before this, and none this large. Also, I've never done one that had a scheduled dinner time. My brisket is 13.5lbs, untrimmed, so I'm figuring round numbers 12lbs in the smoker. I know It will be done when it's done, time doesn't dictate when I pull it off, but I need some sort of starting place. Using a general rule of 1.5hrs/lb I get 18hrs smoke time, then I rest it for 2+ hours I'm thinking. There's 20 hours. Am I close?

I really want to eat before the game rather than be prepping the dinner at kickoff. Does 20hrs sound reasonable? Should I plan on 22hrs and rest longer if needed? I don't know how long I can rest it without consequences or what those consequences would be other than a cold brisket. Any advice is appreciated.

If you can rest a brisket properly (cooler, cambro, etc) you can easily rest it for 5-6 hours with no harm. Gives you plenty of wiggle room.

re: time, yeah 1.5 lbs per lb is a decent estimate, but that depends on the style of smoker you use, the temperature, etc - hot n fast v low n slow, etc.

I usually do a hot fast these days becasue of the very timing issue you have. Much easier to manage a 7 hr window as opposed to a 20 hr window.

Trim and season as usual. The best briskets I have made have been injected with beef broth. place in a full sized aluminum pan. Cook at 375 for 2.5 hours. Cover pan with foil and cook til internal temp is 203. approx 1.5 hours. Total cook time should be 4 hours.

Once IT is 203 remove from smoker, wrap in heavy blanket and let it rest for about 3 hours at room temp. FYI blanket will end up smelling of smoked brisket for a long time.

if you like a nice bark after a 2.5 hour rest take out of foil pan and smoke for 30 minutes to set the bark

If you can rest a brisket properly (cooler, cambro, etc) you can easily rest it for 5-6 hours with no harm. Gives you plenty of wiggle room.

re: time, yeah 1.5 lbs per lb is a decent estimate, but that depends on the style of smoker you use, the temperature, etc - hot n fast v low n slow, etc.

5-6 hours rest gives me all I need to know. Thank you for that. It will be rested in a good cooler and well wrapped in towels, so I'll just put it on plenty early. Thanks again

If you cook it hot and fast like around 300* it can get done around 7 hours or so.. especially if you foil it after 3-4 hours. 250* or lower probably 12 hours or so.. so depends what time you want to get up :biggrin1:

Also if your gonna wrap your time will drop too. I would start it the day before and finish it at night. Let it rest and serve. I know people say 5-6 hours of rest but I have heard of people holding way longer and having a incredible turnout for brisket.

If you cook it hot and fast like around 300* it can get done around 7 hours or so.. especially if you foil it after 3-4 hours. 250* or lower probably 12 hours or so.. so depends what time you want to get up :biggrin1:

Basically this. Depends on how early you want to get up the day of or how late you want to stay up the night before.

Also if your gonna wrap your time will drop too. I would start it the day before and finish it at night. Let it rest and serve. I know people say 5-6 hours of rest but I have heard of people holding way longer and having a incredible turnout for brisket.

Agreed, long hold times of 6+ hours do wonders to a properly cooked brisket

My plan was to start it the night before and go thru the night. My WSM holds temp pretty good so it'll require minimal work from me. I appreciate the fast cook advice but kind of had my mind set on the low and slow method, if for no other reason than I'm learning and trying to get better at it.

I planned on wrapping it at some point but when to do it is a variable I'm not too sure about.

I normally count on 12-14 hours (that includes rest time and carving time)before serving time for most briskets. Start at 250-275 then adjust down to coast into probe tender on time. Much less stressful if you're on a schedule to adjust down to slow the process or rest a little longer.

If you're going to be cooking briskets on a time schedule I highly suggest a wireless therm. Especially one that graphs out the temp over time so you can make on the fly adjustments based on time and temp.

I normally count on 12-14 hours (that includes rest time and carving time)before serving time for most briskets. Start at 250-275 then adjust down to coast into probe tender on time. Much less stressful if you're on a schedule to adjust down to slow the process or rest a little longer.

If you're going to be cooking briskets on a time schedule I highly suggest a wireless therm. Especially one that graphs out the temp over time so you can make on the fly adjustments based on time and temp.

That's what I was hoping for but wasn't sure how to go about it. It's becoming clearer now thanks to everyone's help.

I do have a wireless probe, the igrill2 that I got for Christmas. I'm loving it so far but this will be my 1st big smoke with it.

Cook at 300 Fat Cap down for 4 hrs, wrap in butcher paper, foil if you don't have it. Start checking for probe tenderness 1 hour later and 30 minutes there after. My experience is it will be probe tender around 6.5 hours give or take, 7 max.

I like to let it rest on the counter wrapped in BP for 2 hours if I need to hold it longer than 2 hours vent once IT drops to 150 wrap in foil and throw into cooler/cambro until ready to cut. Using foil to wrap vent until brisket hits 150 wrap put into a cooler/cambro till time to serve. If you put the Brisket on the the gate at least 9 hours before serving you will have no problems, 10 hours if you think you'd like the extra time.

Since you're starting the night before, no problem with low and slow temps.

Back