Humphrey's Battle Box or Ole Hickory Ace JW?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jonathan
Alright, alright. I know. You're sick of questions. Time for me to make up my mind and just buy something, eh?!?! Well, it's a big decision, and I happened to get it wrong the last time I had some spare smoker cash. I'd really prefer not to repeat that! This may be the last time my wife says, "Go ahead, get your smoker."

With y'all's help (that's right, two apostrophes), I've successfully changed my mind about five times in the past five days. But I've largely narrowed it down to two options:

HUMPHREY'S BATTLE BOX
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/humphrey-s-bbq-smokers-battle-box

or

OLE HICKORY ACE JW
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/ole-hickory-ace-jw

I realize these are not apples to apples smokers. I know. That ain't what I'm aiming for. These smokers both have qualities that I like, and drawbacks that I don't. (maybe I'll own em both someday) But it's a closer comparison than it at first appears because of all the options I'd be adding to the Battle Box. Price would only be about $600 difference in the end. Is the Ace JW worth the extra coin?

My considerations:
-I live in MN (we have winter here)
-I do not smoke every weekend, but a couple times per month
-I do not compete, but would like to have the option to enter a small contest here or there in my home state in the future on my next cooker (least important consideration to me)
-I don't mind playing with temps a little, but I don't have ten hours to baby the thing while I'm in grad school for three more years
-I love the convection/set-it-forget-it possibilties of the Ace JW, but the electronics scare me and the size of the thing is pretty big for the amount of cookspace it offers.
-I love the look of the BattleBox, but have never owned a vertical unit. Why are verticals so stinking expensive? How steep is the learning curve (I've done a lot with charcoal smoking on my Weber and PBC, how hard are verticals to learn)?

If you own either of these, what accessories/mods do you insist on, and which are mere niceties?

Hoping my next post on here is a new smoker gender reveal party. :clap2:

Thanks for all your help!

I really don't know much about either. My concerns on the Ole Hickory is it says it will only go 6 hours on a basket of charcoal. so a brisket could take 3 baskets of charcoal? Also it maxes out at 275, not hot enough for chicken if you ask me.

The Humphrey's says it can go 12hrs, but it also says it maxes out at 350 degrees. That is fine for most things, as long as you have another grilling option.

Just things I noticed from the descriptions, people that have them, should be able to help more, but that is why I really am not a fan of either. I think both would make a fine smoker, but they are maybe not as versatile as some of the others you were considering.

Last edited:
Humphreys in this case. It operates up to 350. The ace is not to run above 275.

Not on your list but 270 Smokers KC or the 270 Hollywood. No electronics and convection cooking. I own a 270 Sumo. The newer models operate up to 400 degrees.

We own a Ace BP and it has run north of 300 with no issues. Steph runs his Humphreys hot.
I do believe you would be happy with either one. If you decide on Humphreys, I would suggest a BBQ Guru or equivalent. That way you can monitor temps from inside during the colder months.

I live in Missouri where we also have winters...sometimes...and own a Humphrey's Pint. Was my first real smoker and the learning curve was close to zero. They run very well in all types of weather and require little baby sitting unless that is what you're in to. I have a CyberQ and Pitbull fan as the controller but for the last 2 years really havent used it. I think it runs better without it but as a rookie, I bought it and fought with temps for a couple years before figuring out, lose the controller and be happy. Now, if I did use it, it is just for monitoring temps. No fan connected.

My vote hands down from the two you mention would be the Humphrey's Battlebox. It is a great size cooker that I wouldn't mind to own one day. Someone mentioned the weekender which is nice but, there are some design issues with that one. The hinge on the door doesnt allow it to open any wider than 90 degrees so sliding racks in and out is a pain. The lack of a more solid interior frame would have me a bit concerned too. But for what it is and what it is intended to be used as, i guess it works.

Go for a Humphrey's Battlebox or up and you wont be sorry in the least.

I just took delivery of the Wounded Warrior Battle Box a bit over a week ago, there is a thread further back here called "Humphrey's Wounded Warrior Battle Box uncrating" check that out for much better pictures than you'll find on most web sites. I have 3 cooks on this unit so far and a seasoning run. For seasoning I went full manual and had no issue getting the smoker up to 300 and holding it there for 3 hours. I was impressed. All other cooks were with a Flameboss pit controller and as long as you close the top vent down to just a half inch wide at the top you'll be golden. My second cook was a 16 Lb prime brisket, from light to close down I went 13 hours at apprx 280 degrees on 1 load of charcoal and still had 1 row of coal left after 13 hours. These units sip coal.

Nicole and Chad (humphrey owners) are great to deal with and offer outstanding customer service and build a very high quality smoker. Nicole has used her's to bake goods at 400-450 and on the humphrey Facebook page owners have used theirs to cook pizza at near 500 degrees. Now I don't think I'd do that as I have kamados for that, but going to 400 on this would be no issue. As to MN winters (I lived there for 28 years), this unit is so well insulated it wouldn't beak a sweat at 20 below to 100 above. The learning curve as stated above is almost non-existant and the quality of food that comes off this thing is out of the ball park great.

I am confident that you would not regret getting the Battle box, The wounded warrior edition does offer a nice package to start with tho I see they now offer the drop in water pan, mine is the side in water pan, much easier to remove after a cook as it just slides out but that option does take one potential rack location. Still I could cook 3 briskets on this or 4-6 butts or 6 racks of ribs with no issues. As to must have accessories those 8" no flat caster wheels make moving it really easy and raise it just enough to make door access easy(standard on wounded warrior) The probe ports are very nice (also standard on wounded warrior), the T maze for snake style charcoal burn and the Pick stick is a nice accessory tool.

Last edited:
They are both easy smokers to learn to cook on. I prefer Humphrey's but they both are solid.

Humphrey's you can run without power. Coming from a WSM it was easy for me to learn (Used to have a pint)

Ole Hickory I believe you get some convection heat going on which helps speed things along

Another vote for the Humphreys. With the insulation it will not care what the outside temp is. You may not get a full 6 hours on the ace in the dead of winter. I am just making a guess from what looks like not much insulation on the top lid. 16 hours on the battle box is normal.

The Q from both will be amazing, once you learn how to use the individual pit.

Humphrey pint here. Great cooker.. low and slow or hot and fast! no electric needed, but do have guru for long cooks.. We use it in comps..

Humphreys! You’ll get 12+ hours with a full charcoal tray. I Use my pint for competing and catering. Can’t beat it! The Battle Box is essentially set it and forget it, maybe throw a flame boss on it and monitor from your phone.

I just took delivery of the Wounded Warrior Battle Box a bit over a week ago, there is a thread further back here called "Humphrey's Wounded Warrior Battle Box uncrating" check that out for much better pictures than you'll find on most web sites. I have 3 cooks on this unit so far and a seasoning run. For seasoning I went full manual and had no issue getting the smoker up to 300 and holding it there for 3 hours. I was impressed. All other cooks were with a Flameboss pit controller and as long as you close the top vent down to just a half inch wide at the top you'll be golden. My second cook was a 16 Lb prime brisket, from light to close down I went 13 hours at apprx 280 degrees on 1 load of charcoal and still had 1 row of coal left after 13 hours. These units sip coal.

Nicole and Chad (humphrey owners) are great to deal with and offer outstanding customer service and build a very high quality smoker. Nicole has used her's to bake goods at 400-450 and on the humphrey Facebook page owners have used theirs to cook pizza at near 500 degrees. Now I don't think I'd do that as I have kamados for that, but going to 400 on this would be no issue. As to MN winters (I lived there for 28 years), this unit is so well insulated it wouldn't beak a sweat at 20 below to 100 above. The learning curve as stated above is almost non-existant and the quality of food that comes off this thing is out of the ball park great.

I am confident that you would not regret getting the Battle box, The wounded warrior edition does offer a nice package to start with tho I see they now offer the drop in water pan, mine is the side in water pan, much easier to remove after a cook as it just slides out but that option does take one potential rack location. Still I could cook 3 briskets on this or 4-6 butts or 6 racks of ribs with no issues. As to must have accessories those 8" no flat caster wheels make moving it really easy and raise it just enough to make door access easy(standard on wounded warrior) The probe ports are very nice (also standard on wounded warrior), the T maze for snake style charcoal burn and the Pick stick is a nice accessory tool.

Such a helpful post, thank you for the info! I am getting pretty excited about the possibilities with the Humphrey :)

Back