THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have been reading your comments and agree with them, I will be meeting with Stephanie sometime down the road and will be sharing them and some other things with her. I can clear up some things, The Pool is owned by the County and is funded by the taxpayers, The Rotary has no power or influence on its fees, as a courtesy, the county allows the use of the showers and gives the teams the rate as a resident. The Prize Pool at $10K is one of the highest paying contests in the Northeast, in light of our current economy, I think the fact it did not go down is a plus. As for the other items, I believe that once we bring them to their attention and explain why we dont like them, they can be easily fixed.
First off congrats on the win. I would like to see a breakdown of the prizes because from the amount I was hearing announced by that tool it sure didnt add up to $10K

the girl at the pool on Sunday wouldn't take my 4 ones because all she had for change was singles for the other people......
Stephanie, Mike, Rolf and the crew are great people and I have no doubt they will work towards making the contest one of the premier events in the region
huh???:shock::confused:
whew !!! glad I'm not the only one...
maybe if I drink some Bushmills Black Bush it will all make perfect sense. :biggrin:

She was out of change, when I tried to pay with a $20, so told me not to worry about it, that she couldn't make change... I think she felt like she was being 'fair' by making that statement to Sean too.:p

First off congrats on the win. I would like to see a breakdown of the prizes because from the amount I was hearing announced by that tool it sure didnt add up to $10K

I may be off a bit on the #'s but this is what I recall reading

I thought it was like $8K for KCBS and $2K for grilling.

For KCBS - I thought it was like $4K for GC and RGC ($2500/$1500 split ??) and then the $4K balance split evenly between for the individual categories.

Congrats to Uncle BoBo's Traveling Allstars.....good job guys (oops, and grace..:biggrin:).....
Andy, are you finished with the East Coast tour?.....it has been a blast.....I think that you guys should consider spending anniversary in, ohhhhhh, I dont know, Mesquite, NV......lol, I know that there are teams from the deep south, NE Ohio, Midwest (IL, MO)....I am sure that your lovely wife would not complain....have to see how things go against the tough teams from the west coast....
Appreciate the gift bag....heading out on Wednesday if Mike is around the house......

This was my first time at this contest other than judging it 2 years ago. I have heard from many about how great it is. I had an awesome time with some all of my great friends this weekend. That being said, I have some thoughts looking at it as a competitor.

1. As mentioned in my previous post the call up for the finals without at least giving an award was real tacky.

2.Most that know me know that I am not afraid of working hard but that is the first time I have ever had to take garbage to a central location on my own. I am always hearing about how many member/volunteers the rotary club has.They cant at least send somebody around to do the trash? Like we dont have enough to do contest weekend?

3. It is nice that they have real bathroon that they keep really clean. At our end of the field they had only 5 port-a potties which were sealed off sunday morning because they werent emptied.

4. I understand that they need to make money doing this but with 61 teams the prize money seems a bit low.

5. Charging $4 a person to use the pool? They couldn't make a deal where team member use it for free? They do that at New Holland.

6. If we didn't organize our own pot luck(which it seems like everybody and their mother attended) the only thing that would of been offered to the teams was the 2 super dry pancake deal, the worst breakfast I have ever seen offered at a contest.

7. I witnessed a few golf carts but did not see any with ice on them being offered for sale. I did see quite a few people lugging bags of ice from some location

For an event in its 5th year i wouldn't expect the things I mentioned above.

Sled - all valid points and I agree 100% with you. Send them to Stephanie (with details on why you felt these were issues) and I am sure she will present them to Mike and Rolf.

Congrats to Uncle BoBo's Traveling Allstars.....good job guys (oops, and grace..:biggrin:).....
Andy, are you finished with the East Coast tour?.....it has been a blast.....I think that you guys should consider spending anniversary in, ohhhhhh, I dont know, Mesquite, NV......lol, I know that there are teams from the deep south, NE Ohio, Midwest (IL, MO)....I am sure that your lovely wife would not complain....have to see how things go against the tough teams from the west coast....
Appreciate the gift bag....heading out on Wednesday if Mike is around the house......

Thanks Rob!

I've got your present, and super-secret bbq rub. Actually, I should check it out to see if I should keep it.

Will be around, but going to the Erie Co Fair with Angela and Boo Boo. Gimme a call.

That guy was a tool. I did not care for the end where we were brought up to be told that you are not the winner. If they were giving out and award for that place then maybe. to be brought up and sent back was real tacky. A mention of places 5-3 would of been sufficient.If they did it with the GC & RGC then ok because they were receiving awards.
I was talking with my Daughter last night (14 years old) and she said she hated when they brought up the 4 teams and felt bad for the team that had to walk away with nothing! Then it hit me, yes that was pretty bad. After the MC was doing the "who do you want to win" Team 1, Team 2, etc. I just wanted to go finish packing up!
Concerning The Pancakes - Nice thought but you are serving people that are really into cooking & food and that is what you are going to give them??:eek:

I may be off a bit on the #'s but this is what I recall reading

I thought it was like $8K for KCBS and $2K for grilling.

For KCBS - I thought it was like $4K for GC and RGC ($2500/$1500 split ??) and then the $4K balance split evenly between for the individual categories.

Exactly. And this information was published and available well before the event. So was the location of ice. And Ice was available for delivey each am if you turned in a coupon at thte cooks meeting.

It should be noted the County Pool has nothing to do with the County Fairgrounds. They are seperate entities.

The humiliation/embarassing of the teams @ the end is because I think people watch crap like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars and somehow think it's cool to parade the "almost winners" for entertainment. It was a bs move to not be repeated.

Exactly. And this information was published and available well before the event. So was the location of ice. And Ice was available for delivey each am if you turned in a coupon at thte cooks meeting.

It should be noted the County Pool has nothing to do with the County Fairgrounds. They are seperate entities.

The humiliation/embarassing of the teams @ the end is because I think people watch crap like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars and somehow think it's cool to parade the "almost winners" for entertainment. It was a bs move to not be repeated.

Maybe the KCBS should come up with a suggested guide line how to run the award ceremony (and what not to do)
I know these people running the Comp are volunteers and have good intentions, so if they had a guide line, humiliation like this could be avoided. I liked the 10-6 getting a ribbon, 5-1 going up for their award. As I said previously the jokes about winning a cheap plastic trophy are not needed. People don't realize what a grueling sport this is and by ceremony time I think we want it done quick, and acknowledge the winners in a proper manner.
Not too many sporting events that last for 2 days in extreme weather conditions and where the participants are drinking alcohol! nice combination! Maybe thats why I liked playing in a band you also got to drink on the job!:p

I thought it was a KCBS requirement to provide awards through 5th place?

I think it is only required for the categories. This is from the sanctioning agreement:

4. Prior to 90 days of the contest date, I agree to submit to KCBS a list of the total of all prize monies (including a break down by category (minimum of 5 places) and overall, and a list of trophies or recognition (minimum of 5 places) and a letter guaranteeing payment of said money.

Not real clear...

Looks like the minimum maybe only applies to the categories?

Edit: Should have read the next bullet:

5. Guarantee and pay prize monies as published/advertised to at least 5 places plus a Reserve Grand Champion and Grand Champion. This amount may not be reduced after sanctioning and advertising.

I was talking with my Daughter last night (14 years old) and she said she hated when they brought up the 4 teams and felt bad for the team that had to walk away with nothing! Then it hit me, yes that was pretty bad. After the MC was doing the "who do you want to win" Team 1, Team 2, etc. I just wanted to go finish packing up!
Concerning The Pancakes - Nice thought but you are serving people that are really into cooking & food and that is what you are going to give them??:eek:

It was pretty crappy being the team that got sent back, but we were happy being 4th.:wink:

Most of the contest here in the midwest just pay/trophies for GC & RGC. We (teams) have to yell at them to even read top 10, otherwise they would just read 2nd & 1st.

It was pretty crappy being the team that got sent back, but we were happy being 4th.:wink:

Most of the contest here in the midwest just pay/trophies for GC & RGC. We (teams) have to yell at them to even read top 10, otherwise they would just read 2nd & 1st.

Ah, I got it. Didnt realize that call up snafu was just for overall.

[/color]

Maybe the KCBS should come up with a suggested guide line how to run the award ceremony (and what not to do)
I know these people running the Comp are volunteers and have good intentions, so if they had a guide line, humiliation like this could be avoided. I liked the 10-6 getting a ribbon, 5-1 going up for their award. As I said previously the jokes about winning a cheap plastic trophy are not needed. People don't realize what a grueling sport this is and by ceremony time I think we want it done quick, and acknowledge the winners in a proper manner.
Not too many sporting events that last for 2 days in extreme weather conditions and where the participants are drinking alcohol! nice combination! Maybe thats why I liked playing in a band you also got to drink on the job!:p

Well, if you go to the Butt to Butt, Mike Lake does the same thing. Has all the competitors stand up there and in the end you're either first or last. At the Chest to Chest they had the top & up there and in the end you were either 2nd or 1st.

Granted those are separate events from the KCBS contest, but, having particpated in both, I don't care for that format.

And you should be happy. You did well on both days. Congrats!

If you were called to the stage for being in the top 4 overall, at the very least you should have received a trophy and a bottle of booze.

A call is a celebration no matter what. If the MC doesn't get that, then maybe he should be assigned to rubbish disposal or ice delivery.

I nominate Rolf next year for the award ceremony! He's got a great accent! And you can't beat German Precision on timing and execution!

In Mike's defence, I spoke to him before the breakfast and he thought he was giving us a treat by having something other than sausage and eggs. De gustibus...

As far as the awards go, I also feel we coud have done without the cute remarks about the trophies and the format used for the presentations. In the five years I've been going to New Paltz, the organizers have always been very responsive to suggestions. I'm sure they'll be willing to act on any recommendations we offer.

Back