THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow! Thats close

1. Mr. Bobo's Travelling BBQ all Stars 661.7138
2. Two Little Pigs BBQ 661.1434
3. Lo' n Slo' BBQ 661.1430

Congrats to Que's Your Daddy on the second place ribs, BTW!

What's the deal with team Statutory Ribs? They entered just to cook 46th place ribs?

The shorts I can handle, but men in Crocs scare the hell out of me. Nice job everybody. I had a great time at the event and spoke to some great people. I am looking forward to Wetsport and of course Sayville. I hope to see you there.

Congrats to all the teams. Brian congrats on your first comp. Pleasure meeting everyone. Potluck was delicious and one heck of a birthday cake.

Very high scores for this area.. 661.7 for GC and RGC was just below. 660 for 3rd and 649 in fourth place. Last year GC points were 646 and RGC was 629.. This year, 626 was 19th place.

scores are up for the NEBS grilling contests too, 669 GC 659 RGC this year. Last years 637 and 627 would have put you in 7th and 11th this year.

scores are up all across the board, last year NEBS grilling 9 out of top 10 were above 600, this year 18 out of top 20 were.

KCBS 18 out of 20 above 600 last year, this year the top 40 were all over 600

judging seemed also to be more consistent

scores are up for the NEBS grilling contests too, 669 GC 659 RGC this year. Last years 637 and 627 would have put you in 7th and 11th this year.

scores are up all across the board, last year NEBS grilling 9 out of top 10 were above 600, this year 18 out of top 20 were.

KCBS 18 out of 20 above 600 last year, this year the top 40 were all over 600

judging seemed also to be more consistent

Who won the grilling contest?

Thanks Clint! What a great win for the team. Eric, Grace, and I are siked. Especially to have an free entry to Sayville! Aurther Ave on Friday night before BBB anyone? :).
Congrats All-Stars!!! That kicked arse!

Don't forget that the Jack is the same weekend.:biggrin: The Empire State Championship just got a whole lot tighter, too. It all comes down to Sayville.
Talk about TORN... :twisted: I may have to come out to Sayville to erase my Troy mishap :twisted:

So Bobo and his merry band of All Stars made up about 55 point on Transformer in the Empire State race and is now only trailing by 13. And I would bet Yabba Dabba Que made up a couple points to take the lead. Two contests remain. Who will rank supreme???
Don't count me out yet. :)

Ribs Within 669
NY Phat Daddy's 659
Ed-Que_Cators 654
Can't Stop Grillin 646
Smoke on Wheels 641
SEAN cooked a mean grilling contest.... and I thought I was tough on my pit beeeetch; he had me peelin' peaches, trimming out tenderloins, makin guac... while he was owning the vision and the grill. GREAT clutch move to a tomatillo sauce on our pizza entry. THAT was fun as heck.

Thanks again to everyone who helped pull this weekend together for me... Muzzle, Sled, Swamp pit, Poohbah... couldnt do it without all your help.

What a great weekend! The Rotary does a great Job!
They did improve the Trophy ceremony, I just didn't like the many comments on a cheap, plastic trophy. It was like you did all this hard work for a cheap piece of plastic! I guess he doesn't get (appreciate) what competing is all about, it is not what it is made off, it is what is stands for! - Again, Great Job and Congrats to everybody, I talked to a few judges and they say the turn-ins are getting very competitive and they see the quality getting better. I said I attribute that to teams attending classes like ISS and Ique. I know it helped me.! well not this weekend! lol
dave - Red Planet BBQ
That guy was a tool. I did not care for the end where we were brought up to be told that you are not the winner. If they were giving out and award for that place then maybe. to be brought up and sent back was real tacky. A mention of places 5-3 would of been sufficient.If they did it with the GC & RGC then ok because they were receiving awards.

SEAN cooked a mean grilling contest.... and I thought I was tough on my pit beeeetch; he had me peelin' peaches, trimming out tenderloins, makin guac... while he was owning the vision and the grill. GREAT clutch move to a tomatillo sauce on our pizza entry. THAT was fun as heck.

no "I" in team and Kim was by far the hardest working member of ours. Sled gets funnyman of the weekend award

the end awards ceremony could be improved, it felt kinda chitty having to make that walk of shame empty handed. Never felt bad about being told I finished 4th in a comp before

no "I" in team and Kim was by far the hardest working member of ours. Sled gets funnyman of the weekend award

the end awards ceremony could be improved, it felt kinda chitty having to make that walk of shame empty handed. Never felt bad about being told I finished 4th in a comp before

Hey, we may have been fat, but we sure were slow!:rolleyes:

I agree, no "I" in team, but having you in the lead on grilling, yielded much better results... than the last 3 events :razz:

Sled does get the funny man award... Was the big wiener ever recovered??:icon_shy

This was my first time at this contest other than judging it 2 years ago. I have heard from many about how great it is. I had an awesome time with some all of my great friends this weekend. That being said, I have some thoughts looking at it as a competitor.

1. As mentioned in my previous post the call up for the finals without at least giving an award was real tacky.

2.Most that know me know that I am not afraid of working hard but that is the first time I have ever had to take garbage to a central location on my own. I am always hearing about how many member/volunteers the rotary club has.They cant at least send somebody around to do the trash? Like we dont have enough to do contest weekend?

3. It is nice that they have real bathroon that they keep really clean. At our end of the field they had only 5 port-a potties which were sealed off sunday morning because they werent emptied.

4. I understand that they need to make money doing this but with 61 teams the prize money seems a bit low.

5. Charging $4 a person to use the pool? They couldn't make a deal where team member use it for free? They do that at New Holland.

6. If we didn't organize our own pot luck(which it seems like everybody and their mother attended) the only thing that would of been offered to the teams was the 2 super dry pancake deal, the worst breakfast I have ever seen offered at a contest.

7. I witnessed a few golf carts but did not see any with ice on them being offered for sale. I did see quite a few people lugging bags of ice from some location

For an event in its 5th year i wouldn't expect the things I mentioned above.

Hey There

:p
Well, first off thanks for the kind words, it has been a hard chase for a GC with the new team and after Lake Placid brisket failure, it took a lot to not give up and go back to a normal hobby like hot air ballon racing.. I just wanted to say that our team is 4 people, Myself,Mike,Grace and Angela, without all of us working together we would not be enjoying the success and good times we have experienced this year. while we all may not attend or particpate in every contest, all of us are involved in the planning,packing,cooking,shopping etc for each weekend we hit the road, I can say that Mike buys his own special shorts in Greenwich Village every time he visits NYC !

Wow, we won the contest, what most of you dont know is that I was not at the awards, with the extreme heat,no breakfast, no lunch and low blood sugar, i took a nap at 1:30 and at 4:00 still was to weak to stand in sun for another hour, I only found out when Willie B woke me up to tell me we had won, its funny, I felt fine after that !!!

So if you never see me at awards again it is because I think its good luck . once again thanks and we will see you down the road

Contest Comments

I have been reading your comments and agree with them, I will be meeting with Stephanie sometime down the road and will be sharing them and some other things with her. I can clear up some things, The Pool is owned by the County and is funded by the taxpayers, The Rotary has no power or influence on its fees, as a courtesy, the county allows the use of the showers and gives the teams the rate as a resident. The Prize Pool at $10K is one of the highest paying contests in the Northeast, in light of our current economy, I think the fact it did not go down is a plus. As for the other items, I believe that once we bring them to their attention and explain why we dont like them, they can be easily fixed.

, The Pool is owned by the County and is funded by the taxpayers, The Rotary has no power or influence on its fees, as a courtesy, the county allows the use of the showers and gives the teams the rate as a resident.

As for the other items, I believe that once we bring them to their attention and explain why we dont like them, they can be easily fixed.

the girl at the pool on Sunday wouldn't take my 4 ones because all she had for change was singles for the other people......would be nice for the folks with kids especially if we got a weekend pass. If you want to have fun walk into the pool with the Hot Dawg Truck guys...you could have heard the crickets! lol

Stephanie, Mike, Rolf and the crew are great people and I have no doubt they will work towards making the contest one of the premier events in the region

Back