THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There is probably over 24 hours worth of reading time research you can do on this forum on the topic of cooking prime rib.

The Google custom search bar at the very bottom of the page may be helpful.

I would personally never sear a large piece of meat like a prime rib first. Reverse sear is the key to getting a perfectly cooked roast from edge to edge, and still get that nice crust on the outside.

you have a WSM..., probably one of the best smokers for a prime rib. Ive done my Christmas prime rib at my nephews in the wsm for 10 years running. Charcoal with 4-5 chunks of cherry or hickory..

i make a wet rub of olive oil, garlic, thyme, garlic, rosemary, garlic, rock salt, garlic, coarse pepper, (or montreal steak seasoning), and some garlic. Put it on about and hour or 2 before. put it into the wsm and run it at 250-275 until its just approaching 120 inside, then remove and let it rest(loosely tented). In the mean time, pull the water pan and open all the vents to stoke the coals while it rests.. put the grate on the lower hooks. About 10 minutes beofre serving, the wsm should be hot.. Roll the roast over the hot coals for a few minutes to sear the outside.

For thge offset guys.. i push the offset to 400+, put the roast in and damper down till it stabilizes at 250-275 and cook t 120... then roll over hot coals before serving.

I would strongly disagree with their conclusion that pre-sear is advantageous. Like so many others here, I've done dozens of prime ribs over the decades. I would never, ever pre-sear a roast. Beef, lamb, pork - none would ever get a pre-sear in my kitchen.

Well, I guess I'll find out then. Got one in the DC now as a test before the New Year's Day dinner. :wink:

Go to Amazingribs.com and read meathead's take on prime rib. I am going to do this.

This ....

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html

You will find an amazing step-by-step procedure that if you follow will produce an amazing product.

That said, there is an absolute wealth of information here on the subject, but you will have to do some searching versus the step-by-step process methead outlines.

you have a WSM..., probably one of the best smokers for a prime rib. Ive done my Christmas prime rib at my nephews in the wsm for 10 years running. Charcoal with 4-5 chunks of cherry or hickory..

i make a wet rub of olive oil, garlic, thyme, garlic, rosemary, garlic, rock salt, garlic, coarse pepper, (or montreal steak seasoning), and some garlic. Put it on about and hour or 2 before. put it into the wsm and run it at 250-275 until its just approaching 120 inside, then remove and let it rest(loosely tented). In the mean time, pull the water pan and open all the vents to stoke the coals while it rests.. put the grate on the lower hooks. About 10 minutes beofre serving, the wsm should be hot.. Roll the roast over the hot coals for a few minutes to sear the outside.

For thge offset guys.. i push the offset to 400+, put the roast in and damper down till it stabilizes at 250-275 and cook t 120... then roll over hot coals before serving.

So by lower grate do you mean the grate that the water pan typically sits on?

You have to be careful with the amount of smoke. This kind of meat sucks up smoke quickly, and it can end up a bit hammy tasting if oversmoked.

I've cooked them on an offset and on a weber kettle (indirect). Either way using charcoal with a measured amount of wood chips for smoke. Sometimes with no smoke at all. Its good with a bit of smoke, and its good with none. Also good in the oven.

If you use wood as your heat source, make sure that you can keep the fire clean. Dont let it smolder.

I've cooked hundreds of prime ribs..Many, if not most in an offset with all wood cooks.

A prime rib doesn't soak up smoke any different than a brisket or any other cut of beef, and I've never heard of beef coming out hammy.

Cooking all wood, using well seasoned wood and clean fires, with higher temps around 275 is closer to wood roasting. Even if over smoked, I don't see how beef can come up hammy without being cured unless your using a crazy high salt rub or tender quick, and even at that your getting closer to corned beef or pastrami like. But I'd think even that's a stretch.

I've cooked hundreds of prime ribs..Many, if not most in an offset with all wood cooks.

A prime rib doesn't soak up smoke any different than a brisket or any other cut of beef, and I've never heard of beef coming out hammy.

Cooking all wood, using well seasoned wood and clean fires, with higher temps around 275 is closer to wood roasting. Even if over smoked, I don't see how beef can come up hammy without being cured unless your using a crazy high salt rub or tender quick, and even at that your getting closer to corned beef or pastrami like. But I'd think even that's a stretch.

I was thinking about dry brining... should i not?

Yea everything i read focuses on cooking in the oven. I am getting the impression this is something that most people don't smoke.

I haven't cooked a prime rib in the oven since the first one I did in the smoker. That's the only way I'll do it anymore. Plus, there are dozens of threads on here every holiday season from guys cooking them in a smoker or grill.

Take a tip from sous vide- Lower, longer cooks result in more succulent things. I like cooking a prime rib at 170 in the oven. I did a leg of lamb at 150 for 6 hours on the Egg and it was off the chains succulent and juicy with that specific chew you get with meat very slowly brought up to temp.

Then sear.

The one i recall in particular...was cooking with charcoal with hickory chips in a smoke box (on the kettle). Lots of strong hickory smoke. Honestly tasted oversmoked. It wasnt bitter tasting like a dirty fire, it just tasted like deeply smoked meat. Hammy is the closest word i can think of, but maybe there is a better word. It didnt taste bad, per se, but the flavor was too strong in an unexcpected direction. Ive also done the same oversmoking with chicken thighs (usually with a crazy deep smoke ring). I think there is something about the rib eye cap that acts like a sponge.

Like you said, i dont think a clean oak fire would oversmoke a rib roast.

I haven't cooked a prime rib in the oven since the first one I did in the smoker. That's the only way I'll do it anymore. Plus, there are dozens of threads on here every holiday season from guys cooking them in a smoker or grill.

I think I have such fond memories of "restaurant" prime rib as a kid that I like to replicate that flavor for special occasions. I find that even in my FEC-100, which produces a very mild smoke flavor that I prefer the oven version.

I've cooked both ways, and everyone loves both. This is absolutely a preference thing IMO.

Maybe I should do two this Christmas and take a poll. :grin:

Same here. After the first one I made in the smoker, that's the only way I'll make them. Of course, I'll eat them any ol' way as they're yummy no matter what. :hungry:

Well, here's the prime rib, seared first, cooked at 200 until 125 IT. Yep. Didn't work at all.

I'll admit, it came out a wee bit under, but I chalk that up to not letting it sit for 10 mins...too much reading other recipies! Touched that up in the broiler, always easier to cook more rather than un-cook. However, what an amazing edge-to-edge cook. Good learning here though, New Year's Day should be great!

Back