THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ice_mf_mike

Full Fledged Farker
So this is my first time doing a Prime Rib. Just ordered one for Xmas eve. A few questions.

1. Should i dry brine it? If so, how long?
2. Smoke it or cook in oven? (i'm leaning toward smoking it but if its too cold i may just go the oven route).
3. I know many recipes for the oven have it cooking in a pan with liquid, do you do the same while on the smoker?
4. How should i cook this?

In case it matters this will be a 2 bone Prime grade Prime Rib. Butcher is going to cut off the bone and tie it back.

Thanks. Any feedback is appreciated.

Look up prime rib reverse sear. Tons of people are doing them like that including me.

10# boneless for Christmas dinner. Smoke at 225 to 117 IT 30 min rest and sear for 2-3 minutes a side until a crust forms

My (stolen from somewhere) technique is fat cap up a little olive oil, season with S&P, maybe some rosemary & other herbs at 500* plus for 45-60 minutes then rest for an hour or so in the cooker/oven as it cools. Works for the oven or Weber but I just make sure the deep center IT does not go above 120*. Just did a 7 pounder tonight, perfect med-rare.

Edit: just to clarify, on the Weber (or other grill) it is indirect, not over the fire!

My (stolen from somewhere) technique is fat cap up a little olive oil, season with S&P, maybe some rosemary & other herbs at 500* plus for 45-60 minutes then rest for an hour or so in the cooker/oven as it cools. Works for the oven or Weber but I just make sure the deep center IT does not go above 120*. Just did a 7 pounder tonight, perfect med-rare.

Edit: just to clarify, on the Weber (or other grill) it is indirect, not over the fire!

I have been seeing olive oil in alot of recipes. What does the olive oil do? If im using a dry rub, would i oil and then rub?

This a good friend of mines method, and it's amazing. Huff's way Huff Daddy BBQ.

Prime grade 7 lb Prime Rib roast from Costco. Used a light coating of salt and pepper for the base then made a paste of kosher salt, chopped garlic, chopped rosemary, chopped thyme, coarse black pepper, a little red pepper flakes and olive oil. Smeared it all over the outside the night before. Smoked it at 220 for about 4 hrs or 125 degrees internal. Pulled it and let it rest 30 mins while I cranked my inside oven up to 500. Put it in on a broiling pan for 20 mins to crust the outside. Pulled it and rested 30 more before slicing. Served with traditional condiments (horseradish sauce and au jus) His picture below

Attachments

• IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
I'll be watching this thread! My plans for xmas just might have changed and I might be cooking now. Thought a prime rib would be awesome and I have never done one. I would like to smoke it so am interested to see what others say.

I have been seeing olive oil in alot of recipes. What does the olive oil do? If im using a dry rub, would i oil and then rub?

Well, I generally unwrap a rib roast, pat it dry with paper towels then into the fridge for a day or two so it gets a pretty dry outside skin. The olive oil helps the S&P and herbs adhere to the dry roast. So, if you were to try a variation of this method then get it dry, rub lightly with OI then apply your rub/seasonings.

Look up prime rib reverse sear. Tons of people are doing them like that including me.

10# boneless for Christmas dinner. Smoke at 225 to 117 IT 30 min rest and sear for 2-3 minutes a side until a crust forms

^^This! Only thing I might do different would be to pop it into a 500 degree oven (inside) for the final sear. (That final sear develops the umamis that adds that nice, beefy flavor.)

Yea everything i read focuses on cooking in the oven. I am getting the impression this is something that most people don't smoke.

You have to be careful with the amount of smoke. This kind of meat sucks up smoke quickly, and it can end up a bit hammy tasting if oversmoked.

I've cooked them on an offset and on a weber kettle (indirect). Either way using charcoal with a measured amount of wood chips for smoke. Sometimes with no smoke at all. Its good with a bit of smoke, and its good with none. Also good in the oven.

If you use wood as your heat source, make sure that you can keep the fire clean. Dont let it smolder.

I did one on a Weber kettle a couple of years ago. Rubbed with EVOO and then coated with S&P. Made a ring of fire with lump charcoal with a few chunks of oak. Came out fantastic! Had just a hint of smoke.

Ok thanks. I will decide last minute whether or not i will smoke it. Either way, i will put something below to catch the drippings. ANd will definitely post pictures.

This a good friend of mines method, and it's amazing. Huff's way.

Prime grade 7 lb Prime Rib roast from Costco. Used a light coating of salt and pepper for the base then made a paste of kosher salt, chopped garlic, chopped rosemary, chopped thyme, coarse black pepper, a little red pepper flakes and olive oil. Smeared it all over the outside the night before. Smoked it at 220 for about 4 hrs or 125 degrees internal. Pulled it and let it rest 30 mins while I cranked my inside oven up to 500. Put it in on a broiling pan for 20 mins to crust the outside. Pulled it and rested 30 more before slicing. Served with traditional condiments (horseradish sauce and au jus)

Do you know what the internal temperature of the Prime Rib Roast is after you pull it from the broiler?

Have smoked for about an hour then off to the pre heated oven to finish. High heat sear to finish weather broil or flame for the nice crust is key

Really good guide here:

http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2014/12/rib-roast/

Also explains why a reverse sear may not be a good idea. :jaw:
I would strongly disagree with their conclusion that pre-sear is advantageous. Like so many others here, I've done dozens of prime ribs over the decades. I would never, ever pre-sear a roast. Beef, lamb, pork - none would ever get a pre-sear in my kitchen.

This a good friend of mines method, and it's amazing. Huff's way.

Prime grade 7 lb Prime Rib roast from Costco. Used a light coating of salt and pepper for the base then made a paste of kosher salt, chopped garlic, chopped rosemary, chopped thyme, coarse black pepper, a little red pepper flakes and olive oil. Smeared it all over the outside the night before. Smoked it at 220 for about 4 hrs or 125 degrees internal. Pulled it and let it rest 30 mins while I cranked my inside oven up to 500. Put it in on a broiling pan for 20 mins to crust the outside. Pulled it and rested 30 more before slicing. Served with traditional condiments (horseradish sauce and au jus)

Pretty much what I do. Smoke at 225 until internal temp hits 117. Then I rest between 30 minutes to an hour. Finish in a 550 degree oven for about 10 minutes to crisp up the outside. Perfect. Always use choice grade boneless roasts from Costco.

Back