THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I

Iron Mike

Hello all.

I picked up some apple wood this spring that a neighbor of mine trimmed off his tree. Some of my other neighbor's have pear, cherry and grape vines.

The question is, how long should I let these woods season before they are usable for the smoker?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

When I use to season fresh-cut wood, I would season fruitwood for 3 or 4 months, not nearly as long as I would season hickory or oak.

Take 2 pieces and knock them together.
It should have a dull thud, sounds like a broken bat, thats when they're good!

Hardwoods usually 6 months.
Fruit woods dry faster.

I like my wood as fresh as I can get it. I try to have it all used up in less than 6 months so never buy or cut very much at a time. Thing to remember though is I use it sparingly when it is still green and a little more the older it gets.
Dave

I think it all depends on the type of wood and whether it is split or not but all in all I would say one season is appropriate, that is what all of the pre-sacked wood is.

Mike:

I harvest Bradford pear all the time. The first thing I do is cut, split & chunk into final size for smoker. That way, its dry enough in about 3 months.

Back