THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemitime

Got rid of the matchlight.
This will be my first year to cook a turkey on my stick burner. I want a fresh bird and I will brine it. My question is how long can I refrigerate a fresh bird? Trader Joe's here in town has brined birds on sale today. Does the brining process preserve a bird longer?

This will be my first year to cook a turkey on my stick burner. I want a fresh bird and I will brine it. My question is how long can I refrigerate a fresh bird? Trader Joe's here in town has brined birds on sale today. Does the brining process preserve a bird longer?

They stores around here bring in the fresh turkeys next week (the couple I have checked).
That means they will be refrigerated at least 7 days, regardless of where they are stored.

Brining will not preserve one as much as curing one would.

I plan to pick up a fresh bird next week and then dry brine for 3 days prior to smoking on T-Day.

The folks that sell fresh turkey around here (Amish) ask you when you want the bird and butcher it accordingly. Time is of the essence with fresh poultry. Find a local farmer and brine it yourself if you're able. Amazing difference compared to frozen store birds. Most people preorder their birds too.

I found this interesting. Kind of like buying fish.
"This is what my favorite butcher told me. The so-called fresh turkeys have been sitting around for many, many days. From the processing, trucking to the grocery store, and then in the grocery store. These are not fresh turkeys! His advice is to only purchase frozen turkeys, as they are flash frozen immediately after being butchered. Frozen turkey are fresher turkeys!"

I found this interesting. Kind of like buying fish.
"This is what my favorite butcher told me. The so-called fresh turkeys have been sitting around for many, many days. From the processing, trucking to the grocery store, and then in the grocery store. These are not fresh turkeys! His advice is to only purchase frozen turkeys, as they are flash frozen immediately after being butchered. Frozen turkey are fresher turkeys!"

I kind of wonder about those "fresh turkeys" that now are appearing in the stores. I usually wait to buy until 3-4 days before I cook it and that is only of if I can determine when it stocked in the store. My local Whole Foods is pretty good about getting in fresh turkeys the week of Thanksgiving.

I am usually in the market for a smaller bird and will Harvest Brine it for 2-3 days depending on the size.

I kind of wonder about those "fresh turkeys" that now are appearing in the stores. I usually wait to buy until 3-4 days before I cook it and that is only of if I can determine when it stocked in the store. My local Whole Foods is pretty good about getting in fresh turkeys the week of Thanksgiving.

I am usually in the market for a smaller bird and will Harvest Brine it for 2-3 days depending on the size.

With fresh turkeys, you generally want a local source, and to know when and how they handle them. The points in that article that was linked are right. And so is the fact that really fresh local poultry can be superior.

Back