How do you clean the ash out your pit?

I use an empty orange juice container. Just cut the top off and use it as a scoop to get the ashes out of my UDS. I usually put a rag over the rim, so when I lean in I don't get the grease and crud all over my shirt. For my WSM, I just dump the ashes into a bucket, like most everyone else has suggested, and then bag them up and dump them in the trash. I keep all of my smokers in the garage, too, so I don't worry too much about ash clean up until the next cook.

I typically clean it out whenever I put the covers back on. So generally a few days after the cook is complete. Of course now my one touch cleaning system has BROKEN! on Lil' Spidey. Ordered a new one, it should be here tomorrow.
I got it used from our illustrious brother Ashmont, and I've been using it hard for some number of years now... five? Six maybe? The damn handle just snapped right off one day when I was cleaning out the ash. Looking like I'm going to have to take a hacksaw to it. I don't know if the ash is the culprit to blame for breaking my handle, but if it is then you've been warned.

The way I clean the ash out of Lil' Spidey is just with some cheapo brush I got from Kroger, or Home Depot. Just sweep it down into the ash catcher. Big Spidey just gets dumped into the trash can. We're not supposed to bag our ashes for whatever reason here, so it makes it pretty simple to do.

McCulloch-Tornado-GBV-325-Leaf-Blower-Shredder-Leaf-Vacuum.jpg

Many of us are guilty of leaving the ash in our cookers or waiting a few days to clean them out, me included. But there is a really good reason to clean them ASAP. The ash will absorb moisture from the air and mix with the LYE that's in the ash. Though your grill may be porcelain coated the edges of the grill often have bare metal. The lye will gladly chow down on your grill over time and shorten the lifespan of your best cooking friend. Cleaning and then hosing the residual ash off will neutralize the acids from the ash. Use plenty of water to neutralize it and remove it all. That grill you spent so long learning how to make the perfect meats on will last a lot longer.

Coming from Florida with such a high humidity I have always felt that the ash retains moisture and promotes rust.

This! Now I don't clean it out as often as I should, but it is best especially if your cooker is out where it has the possibility of getting water inside the box. Then you have more rust problems.

I just scoop mine out into a bucket and dump it in the woods.

Back