THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm in Texas and chose to join IBCA. There are a couple of comps a year that offer added money to IBCA members. Usually has a stipulation that you must join by a particular date. But the money is for members. 3rd place can net you more money than first, if first wasn't a member and you are.

One of the things that will help these organizations grow is to spread the wealth a bit. They say that if you get a call at your first comp, you are hooked for life. In that I say "have a pro series and rookie series" (like sprint and nationwide) that way you will allow some more of those cooks the opportunity to win. Unfortunately the costs associated with entering a competition are prohibitive to some folks with less means. Therefore those same folks will pick a small handful of events which to compete in each year and even then they may not get the chance to walk.

I mostly cook in IBCA and more often than not they will pay 10-15 places with the GC and RGC not winning any additional money beyond the recognition that comes with the trophy. Therefore you have a lot more winners. Last year was a limited schedule for me but I cooked in 9 comps and actually made enough money in 7 of them to cover entry fees and meat. Normally IBCA comps average about $100 to enter.

I don't believe that this is a fan based hobby so I disagree with a few folks here who would want folks nosing around. I don't mind talking to a few folks but it can become a faucet that will not turn off as in your have no control over the flow.

Back