THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GrillsGoneWild

is one Smokin' Farker
Since I'm upgrading my smoker to a Lone Star Grillz, I'm thinking about upgrading my Guru too. I'm currently using a DigiQ unit and love it. I want to go to a CyberQ so I can monitor the temps in the middle of the night form the bedroom or when I'm away from the house for an all day cook.
BUT, I see that their are hassle with the set up through a router. I'm pretty good at technical stuff on things I'm familiar with. A home router is not one of those. I see people talking about Ad Hoc and blah, blah, blah.
So how difficult is it to get a CyberQ set up to be able to monitor temps?

Its a pain if you dont understand networking. What you can do is have Guru tech support set it up for over over the phone and by remote connection. just make sure where you plan on having the pit, you have wifi signal there or it wont matter.

you cant put a price on the convenience of just rolling over and checking your pit via phone IMO.

Let the flame war begin.

Setting it up in adhoc is easy, but when in that mode the device i.e. laptop,iPad,iPhone can't run anything else that requires internet connection. When you set it up for each use your browser must be closed, then setup the Guru as a WiFi router the open up the browser with the proper address. Once that's done all adjustments can be made via your device. If it sets awhile and your device goes in the sleep mode it loses connection and setup must be repeated. No big deal and not time consuming but can get aggravating. Every blue moon you have to reboot Guru, turn it off then on. I can't get it to work with my Android. If you go with infrastructure so you can acces it by internet anywhere is more complex. I have tried to use the auto scan to find my router, new Apple Time Machine, But it can't find it so it will be a skill level of "difficult" per BBQ Guru instructions. I haven't tacked it yet but in adhoc mode I like it better than my old Guru. Plus it comes with 3 food probes which I find useful in my large smoker to monitor food temps on different levels within the smoker. Feel free to P.M. me w/ questions. Also make sure you purchase one w/ software version 1.7

Setting it up to connect to your home network to be able to monitor it in bed is fairly easy. Getting it accessible over the internet can be straight forward, but it depends on the specific router that you have. each one is different.

Setting mine up was easey, upgraded the firmware in it to 1.7 and it scans for networks. I use my internet providers router and it was very easy to set up a site to check remotely. Then with the addition of the pit pal iphone app made it even better. I really like mine.

My Guru works great over the internet on my Verizon FIOS router.. Simple setup.

I tried to use it an a different location with a Netgear router and it would not configure in Infrastructure mode. I spent a lot of time screwing with it.. but it is a router issue when it is all said and done.

Since I'm upgrading my smoker to a Lone Star Grillz, I'm thinking about upgrading my Guru too. I'm currently using a DigiQ unit and love it. I want to go to a CyberQ so I can monitor the temps in the middle of the night form the bedroom or when I'm away from the house for an all day cook.
BUT, I see that their are hassle with the set up through a router. I'm pretty good at technical stuff on things I'm familiar with. A home router is not one of those. I see people talking about Ad Hoc and blah, blah, blah.
So how difficult is it to get a CyberQ set up to be able to monitor temps?

which Lone Star did you get?

which Lone Star did you get?

I'm getting the Insulated Cabinet Smoker.

The router I have is from AT&T since they are my provider. If it is going to be a pain and possibly ultimately not work, I would rather not mess with it. With technology, I'm surprised this isn't easier to set up on any router.

Back