THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
I got these magnolia wood branches from a neighbor:

magnolia_wood.jpg

magnolia_wood_closeup.jpg

I already searched for forum, there was a reference that magnolia wood doesn't smell that good when burning but not really anything else.

So is magnolia wood suitable as a smoking wood, and which kind if meat would it fit to?

The magnolia trees that I have trimmed here in Florida, USA, have a somewhat bitter smell and taste (when some of the sawdust falls into my mouth). I would guess that it would have a combination of a bitter and floral smoke flavor. I would try to find out which species of magnolia you might have, then do some research as to potential toxicity. If everything looks good, then do a test burn of a small dry piece. If the smoke smells good, then smoke a single piece of chicken breast to evaluate the flavor.

Personally, for all of the unknowns, I would just burn that wood up in a campfire and find a known good smokewood.

Our native (southeastern US) sweet gum magnolias & wild gum magnolias are soft and have a very bitter aroma when burned. If you take a piece and let it dry, if large cracks appear within a month or two it is a soft wood. But, try to burn a small piece and see what it smells like. Your nose will tell you very quickly if you want to taste it or not in your cooking.

I'll pass because I am not in the mood to perform experiments with smoking wood, and since we can't use it otherwise (no campfires allowed here), I guess I just have to dump it.

Back