THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

slackdogbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Hi Brethren, looking for some new gloves. Finally had to retire set I've had for quite a few years. Would appreciate any suggestions.

For heat I get these gloves for about five or ten bucks a piece during the tent sale at Boscovs. I actually pick up hot charcoals and move my burning charcoal baskets with these gloves.

B483-C046-DB33-4-D7-B-BC0-D-B480-CC368-A40.jpg

For hot foods I prefer the gloves that come with the showtime grill.

A few weeks back I was at a charity cook for a fallen police officer and borrowed a set of Malcom Reed hot gloves to use while emptying hot coals from the grill. I was impressed at how no heat was transferred. I have been using welding gloves for a long time but they get stiff fast and break down quickly. There are other brands out in there. The amazon link will lead you to several different varieties.

https://www.amazon.com/Grilling-Resistant-Barbeque-Barbecue-Silicone/dp/B07GLCWBYW?th=1

https://thebbqbutler.com/collection...yQUzeZ4KBDYfZI7R7PepDsFhcSEbfZnkaApSNEALw_wcB

I agree with several welding gloves or some type of cotton heat resistant gloves for chores around the pit. Nitrile gloves over cotton gloves for handling food.

Also, I have the Malcom Reed gloves and they are very thick and good, but I will tell you from past experiences certain pans and pots being hot enough you can feel it and have to set it down for a second.

I have some heavy duty, PVC coated, rubber gloves with a cotton fleece lining that I wear for handling food. Easy to clean by just washing your hands while wearing them. We used to wear these all the time when I was a chemist, but you can find them in any big box hardware store. I wouldn't use them for handling hot coals or a hot grate, but they work well for lifting hot food off the grill.

I use welders cloves for the really hot stuff.

For hot meat i use the cotton gloves with nitriles over them. Feel is a big part of knowing when i want to pull my briskets and ribs. The big rubber gloves i've tried were too bulky for me.

For heat i use welding gloves.

Same. Nothing fancy, but they get the job done.

I use welder’s gloves for handling wood and the firebox.Ove gloves covered with nitrile for hot meat.A BIG,STURDY,WIDE spatula or pizza peel is your friend for moving meats around.I use a frog gig mounted to a broomstick for flipping chicken and ribs.

On Wayne's advice I have been wearing these over my cotton gloves. They are much cheaper than nitrile too. I have had zero issues using these. I do use the nirtile over cotton for fine work like pulling pork and separating the junk. https://www.samsclub.com/p/disposeable-gloves-2000-count/prod24770086?pid=ps_acq_Google_PLA_14465978051&wl0=&wl1=u&wl2=c&wl3=542418078643&wl4=pla-1232692197992&wl5=9017042&wl6=&wl7=&wl9=&wl10=1247713&wl11=online&wl12={productid}&wl13=&wl15=124940317125&wl16=&wl17=&wl18=&wl19=&wl20=Cj0KCQiAuP-OBhDqARIsAD4XHpcoBtxQgsMlbLDz4klJkcZjnXhLietNfqbWJaeDhsKpNIi9wVagoAAaAhpyEALw_wcB&wl23=1232692197992&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuP-OBhDqARIsAD4XHpcoBtxQgsMlbLDz4klJkcZjnXhLietNfqbWJaeDhsKpNIi9wVagoAAaAhpyEALw_wcB

I'll pile on.... Cotton gloves with nitrile over top. Though nitriles I use on my foodtruck that cost me $5 a box are now $20 :(

I use a poker or fire tool when logs/charcoal needs moved.

For adding logs, handling hot non food things I use a pair of leather welding style gloves I got at Academy. Believe the are the outdoor gourmet academy brand ones and they work pretty well as long as you don’t take your sweet time as they will eventually start to get pretty toasty.

For food I have a pair of silicone mitts. A lot of people on here don’t seem to like that style of gloves very much, but I find them to work ok. I agree you loose a lot of dexterity, but the trade off is the they are super easy to get on and off if needed and they work just fine for my purposes.

Back