THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RedKamado

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Ale Barleyman
Every so often I enjoy to make my own bacon. I've taken a costco's slab of belly and cured it for 12 days. Today is smoke day.

This is my first attempt at a cold smoke. I want to keep the smoke under 80f. Being cured, the belly should be food safe at these temps.

First stab at this method. In the Shirley Fabrication custom I simply made a charcoal snake, added pecan and cherry chips on top, and fired up one end. So far I am pleasantly surprised as it is working seemingly well.

Another first. I took advantage of a sale and purchased a thermoworks tool that pushes temp data to the cloud. Its been fun watching my temps on a bar graph. Smoke chamber temps seem to be flirting around 50f.

If anyone cares to check in live here is the link:
https://cloud.thermoworks.com/shared/QqLB9PvQkBrkrvwVeabT

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 168
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 163
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 164
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 164
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 161
Do you have the draft open between champers? I have to do some soon and I have ran very small fires for hours, curious to see how long that snake will run

Looks good

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

I'm sure a pit that nice has excellent draw and draft. One of these pellet smoke generators might be an option later on. They essentially produce very little heat and run for about 6 or 7 hours.

jkKeUem.jpg

px2PeSF.jpg

Do you have the draft open between champers? I have to do some soon and I have ran very small fires for hours, curious to see how long that snake will run
I did have the draft open between main and warmer chamber. Was thinking, that way I could get smoke flow both under and over the meat sitting on the top shelf in the main chamber.
I was satisfied with the snake method. Once it burned down half way, I went in and extended the "tail" making it full length again. Didnt have an issue with burn duration.

I'm sure a pit that nice has excellent draw and draft. One of these pellet smoke generators might be an option later on. They essentially produce very little heat and run for about 6 or 7 hours.

That is a great tip! I did consider a pellet smoke generator, but first figured I try with what I have on hand. I will definitely look to get one along with some pellets to experiment with.

Side note, im just realizing that I accidentally doubly created threads on this cook. My apologies for the redundancy and inconvenience.

Back