Holy Pork! Pig Shots on the Egg

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
I recently ran across an appetizer called "Pig Shots" on another site and decided to give them a try.

When Mrs. South bit into one, there was a five second pause followed by "OH MY GOD !!!" Yep, they're pretty good. According to her, they're my go-to appetizer now, required at all BBQ-like gatherings.

I started with a plain old store bought Polish Keilbasa, cut into discs about 1/2 inch tall with the casings removed (they make them too chewy, apparently).

Then I took 1/2 strip of bacon and wrapped it around each disc (creating a shot glass of sorts) and secured with a single toothpick run through.

pig-shots-011512-wrapped-and-pinned.JPG

I filled the shot glasses half way up with some plain (microwave softened) Philly Cream Cheese.

pig-shots-011512-cream-cheese.JPG

I filled them the rest of the way (even overflowed a bit) with dark brown sugar.

pig-shots-011512-brown-sugar.JPG

I sprinkled half of them with my beloved Yardbird for some comparisons later.

pig-shots-011512-leaded-and-unleaded.JPG

On to the LBGE they went (sweet blue / light hickory). 225° for 2 hours. They ended up at about 180° internal.

pig-shots-011512-starting-on-egg.JPG

Ready to pull after two hours...

pig-shots-011512-ready-to-pull-1.JPG

pig-shots-011512-ready-to-pull-2.JPG

Mrs. South plated them up and tried one. OMG moment referenced above followed 5 seconds later.

pig-shots-011512-on-platter-2.JPG

pig-shots-011512-on-platter-closeup.JPG

She preferred the ones w/o the rub. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Interesting. I'll absolutely be doing these again.

Highly recommended, Brethren!

Outstanding idea!

They would be too sweet for my bride, thinking a tad bit of cheddar cheese instead of brown sugar.

I've been brainstorming other versions all night. One was sticking a shroom in the cream cheese so the thing looks like an umbrella. "Pigbrellas"?

I gotta try this!! Thanks! It looks like you did a great job. Some hot peppers on top of the cream cheese might help here too. Hmmmm!!!

Hmmm.... Two types of meat, smoked, and somewhat spherical in appearance. I wonder if these would qualify as.... MEATBALLS ???

I think I remember somewhere in the foggy recesses of my mind that a person had posted something similar to these, and called them "heart attacks". I've been wanting to try them ever since, and since seeing these that you made. I know I gotta try them soon!

Holy mother of goodness batman. Last year for fishing opener I made the boys a bacon explosion. This year I was thinking moinks but now that I see these I think I have a new plan.

Thanks for sharing.

Back