THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

busmania

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
I use this rub as a base for almost everything. Lately I’m thinking I need to change it up. Thoughts?

Basic rub
-2 table pepper
-1 table salt
-1 tea garlic
-1 tea Chile powder
-1 tea paprika

Now, lately I’ve been adding a tablespoon of turbinado sugar and half a teaspoon of cinnamon.

Anyone have ideas? I like the “Texas style” ribs but feel I need more flavor out of the rub. Thanks!

* Dark Brown Sugar - or as close to cane that you can find. I get the granulated form of Panela (aka rapadura or piloncillo) when I can. Otherwise, I just use regular store-bought dark brown. You don't have to use a lot - we aren't talking about making sweet ribs (although I do).
* Undercoating - You may also consider a liquid base on the ribs before laying on your rub for another dimension in flavor. Again, you could go for sweet with honey or agave, but I have heard of folks using mustard or even brewed coffee.
* Spritz for flavor - My dad used to spritz ribs/brisket/chicken/himself with bourbon. I tend to go with beer for the meats and bourbon for me.

Cumin. Like bacon, everything is better with cumin.

I concur on both counts. It takes longer, but I advise buying the cumin seeds and toasting them in a skillet, then grinding right before you use it in your rub. Cumin, like many other spices, lose their flavor if they sit on a shelf for a long time.

It adds what I can only describe as an earthiness. You just have to try it.

I like Mr TQ's suggestion of celery salt, good stuff that.

i hate cumin, so if it's noticeably present in a rub that's a no go for me. balanced or behind the scenes...maybe.

I like dry mustard. Maybe add a half or whole teaspoon? Double the chili powder for extra flavor. I like to add some chipotle powder when I do a rub too. Granulated onion--add the same amount as garlic. That seems like a lot of cinnamon for the amount of rub you have. As long as it isn't overpowered I guess you are fine.

Swap out the Table Salt
Celery salt

lemon pepper

Accent (MSG)
Kosher salt

All would bring something to the table likely better than iodized table salt.

Tarragon Not much with flavor but adds aromatics whick trick the brain to think something tastes better.

Experiment with different peppers they all add something different. I had a thread about different peppers recently.

This is the rub I've developed over the years.
This is only the 2nd time I've shared it, the other time was on this forum as well.

Mr. T’s BBQ Dry Rub
Great on pork, chicken and seafood.
3 tbs Smoked paprika
1 ½ tbs Coarse Black Pepper
3 ½ tbs Brown Sugar
2 tbs Sugar
1 ½ tbs Kosher Salt
1 ½ tbs Celery Seed
1 tbs Garlic Powder
1 tbs dry Mustard
¼ tbs Cumin
¼ tbs Cayenne Pepper
1 tbs Onion Powder

Mix well, apply liberally.
For best results on chicken, ribs or pork shoulder, apply, wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Let chicken and pork marinate overnight.
On seafood marinate for 1 to 2 hours. Use as you would Old Bay or similar seasonings.

Kosher salt instead of table salt for starters.
Cinnamon? A no-go for me, but it does work with sweet, so could be.

i hate cumin, so if it's noticeably present in a rub that's a no go for me. balanced or behind the scenes...maybe.
Cumin is a particularly pungent spice so I usually add it as 1/2 to 1/4 the quantity of other spices.

I was happy to see that you don't add sugar. IMO highly overrated and not necessary. IMO. Others would disagree.

A couple other options:

Dried peppers (Ancho, Guajillo and others) I toast them either over an open flame or using a propane torch and grind. I wonder if the Texas flavor you seek is a result of dried peppers and cumin as both are common in Mexican/Southwest cooking.

Ground coffee. (Not coffee grounds - that goes into the compost. :mrgreen: )

Cocoa. A brisket rub recipe I copied from Raichlen includes coffee and cocoa.

I applaud you for making your own rub. At times I thought I was the only one.

Cumin and some cayenne, check! I love cumin, not sure why I haven’t ent used it.

I concur on both counts. It takes longer, but I advise buying the cumin seeds and toasting them in a skillet, then grinding right before you use it in your rub. Cumin, like many other spices, lose their flavor if they sit on a shelf for a long time.

Dude, I smoke food for 12-how ever many hours it takes. I’m all about doing whatever it takes to get extra flavor even if it takes longer!

For salt. I always use large granular sea salt, not fine table salt.

To me, just a little cinnamon adds a nice touch when not overdone to the point of it tasting like cinnamon. I just started doing that after realizing my local place must put cinnamon in their rub after an experience I had where they actually way over did the cinnamon. The ribs were not great that experience eating at their restaurant but it made me realize what I was missing...If that makes sense.

I don’t like overly sweet either, just a touch of sweetness. I’ll try the mustard powder and maybe a mustard slather too. I’m all about simple and slathers, although simple, seem like overdoing it. Oh, and I always spritz with apple cider vinegar. I’ll try some other liquids.

So many things to try! Good thing I’m about to put together a 24” offset from a “kit” I’m putting together (having every single part made professionally, I’ll assemble and weld together, I want my next build to be top notch quality). It will need a lot of testing. Sorry wifey!

Appreciate all the tips!

Cumin is a particularly pungent spice so I usually add it as 1/2 to 1/4 the quantity of other spices.

I was happy to see that you don't add sugar. IMO highly overrated and not necessary. IMO. Others would disagree.

A couple other options:

Dried peppers (Ancho, Guajillo and others) I toast them either over an open flame or using a propane torch and grind. I wonder if the Texas flavor you seek is a result of dried peppers and cumin as both are common in Mexican/Southwest cooking.

Ground coffee. (Not coffee grounds - that goes into the compost. :mrgreen: )

Cocoa. A brisket rub recipe I copied from Raichlen includes coffee and cocoa.

I applaud you for making your own rub. At times I thought I was the only one.

I honestly have yet to find a store bought rub I liked. My original base recipe is sugarless but as of late I’ve been adding a little turbinado sugar. Sometimes I add sugar, sometimes I don’t. Depends on my mood. When I do add the turbinado sugar, it’s very little. Sometimes I do like the very slight hint of sweet. took me a long time to like that flavorprofile of sweet ribs (but now I get why people like it) so I only add the sugar about half the time.

Back