Help With Chili Please!

Those are some awesome chili pictures and how to's. Never used "real" chile's in my chili. My kids go to a spanish speaking pre-school and their teachers are from Mexico. We are going to trade tamales and chiles for BBQ. Yum.

Thirdeye,

That green chili looks awesome! I don't have a meat grinder... how important is that? Could I get by with chopping the pork by hand or in a food processor, or does it really need to be ground up?

Thirdeye,

Your recipe looks awesome and I am definitely going to try it.

Here's a pork green chili recipe I picked up when I lived in Colorado. They serve it with fried eggs, refried beans, and rolled tortillas for breakfast. I love the stuff..

Pork Green Chili

• 3 pounds pork butt, cubed

• 1 TBS oil

• 3/4 cup flour or Masa

• 1-3 tsp salt*

• 3 cups chicken stock

• 5 cups fresh roasted green chiles

• 1 TBS fresh oregano

• 1-2 jalapeños or chipotles (optional)

• 1 TBS minced garlic

• 14 oz can tomatoes, chopped

In a Dutch oven, brown pork cubes in oil (in batches if necessary). Add spices and flour and mix well. Slowly add chicken stock, stirring well to avoid lumps. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and let simmer until meat is tender and sauce is thick (about 2 hours). Adjust seasoning as desired. *Careful with the salt, some stocks are salty.

Hunter that Chuck is what I use in a lot of my chili Recipies it'll work fine!!!

Thirdeye.......man....I'm ...well..uh...well.I'm... HUNGRY NOW !!!!:eek:
Damn fine lookin' grubbage!!!

schoonch said:
Thirdeye,

That green chili looks awesome! I don't have a meat grinder... how important is that? Could I get by with chopping the pork by hand or in a food processor, or does it really need to be ground up?

I have cubed the meat a couple of times and that worked out okay. I used kind of small cubes, maybe 1/4". The processor will work good too and won't be as time consuming as the cubes.

The two things to keep in mind are:
  • Baking the meat with the seasonings on top really drives the flavor into the meat, so don't skip that part. Butt works best as it has the right fat percentage.
  • Even though the Serrano's are used to regulate the heat, sometimes the heat of them varies. Better to err by having too few than making a burnout batch..LOL
I hope you enjoy it!!!!!!

I'd go with the chuck (chuskc in Bill-speak!). More fat = more flavor. I'd just cube it, brown it, and simmer (braise) in some broth for "a while" until tender - and then build the chili up from there.

I had not had Chili Verde until I judged at a ICS cook off
Let me tell I am hooked now out of 15 entries 3 were SO much better than the others.

Back