HELP!! smoker wont roll

That thing IS huge...sounds like a fun restore project.

If you have to replace the bottom of the upright anyway, I would consider adding a fire box with a door and vent so you could build a small "booster" fire there. It's so big it may not get very hot with just the fire box on the other end.

It will take a lot of meat to fill that cooker to full capacity!

Looking forward to your restore thread.

There is one thing you must have to free up your frozen wheel and door hinges: PATIENCE! There is no rocket science here. Heat, penetrating oil, tapping to break rust, leverage. If you can think of a way to use hydraulics (small portapower, small bottle jacks) they can really help. But you have to be patient. Heat, when cool enough add more penetrating oil, then let cool completely. Maybe an hour. Repeat. Over and over. You will get it free within 2 days. If you get impatient you will F something up.

seattlepitboss

Could do that. anybody ever done a booster second firebox for an upright like that? I do know the firebox is a little undersized so might not be a bad idea.

Sill can't get one wheel free. have drilled two holes in the hub to squirt PB Blaster in. Heated to almost glowing, and tried hitting from all angles with 2# sledge. used 4' cheater pipe in spokes against leg and nothing. Any other suggestions?

That thing's a BEAST! I'm not quite sure how it doesn't just tip from the weight of the upright. Firebox does look kind of small for the size of it.

Should be a fun restore to watch.

Put a long pry bar or pipe thru the spokes on the wheel and pry against the frame. You might get the wheel to budge with that.

How can i get it further into the hub without drilling more holes, which i might need to do. then just fill them after getting it moving and putting alot of oil in there so it wont rust again.

2nd the suggestion to use Kroil.

Be aware that w/o tuning plates and a lot of fiddlin' that upright is more of a warmer than a cook chamber.

Price was right. Free. My buddy even loaned me the trailer to get it home and loaded it for me.

Like said, patience is the key. However there is a quicker way. I don't know if you have access to a grinder and some cutoff wheels or a cutting torch. If so, I'd jack up the bad wheel and cut the end off the spindle holding the wheel. Then I would apply heat and knock the wheel off the spindle. Clean the spindle and the inside of the wheel with a wire brush. Drill the wheel and insert a grease zerk. Put wheel back on and weld the end-plate back on to hold the wheel in position. Then grease and remember to grease every so often. I'd do the same to all the wheels to avoid this issue in the future.

Have you priced Kroil lately? My next order will probably be Schaeffer, Gibbs or Gasoila instead.

I know Kroil is not cheap but it gets the job done. The last time I bought some was in a returned spray can that lost its pressure, they let me have it for $5. I cut the top off and dumped in a jar, about 10 oz.

My wife would say wait until she was home so she could video, just in case it got away from me. Then she would post the video for the whole world to get a good laugh.

Back