Help on new BBQ area

Hoosier1960

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Harold
I recently got rid of a hot tub that sat on a 10'x20' slab. I want to build a covered BBQ area/outdoor kitchen. I have 2 questions. First, what does everyone do to vent the smoke? (It will probably have a half wall on one or more sides) and second, I am trying to decide how the underside of the roof/ceiling area should be finished to be able to somewhat clean off all the smoke accumulation.

I agree with smitty.. but when I cover my area I will be doing something similar to this so it has max ventalation

I would also recommend aluminum as steel will rust with the smoke covering it. Best to paint the underside black from the start and let it rip

@mattmountz94 I had an idea to do something like that, but with open gable ends.
My second thought was more of a lean to roof kind of like @2FunKids

On my back porch I use a fan. When I build the cover over my slab we are planning on a hood vent like over a stove that will vent out a pipe thru the roof.

Open roof or lean too should work.

If you want to close in some walls you could probably add some type of exhaust vent at the high point.

@mattmountz94 I had an idea to do something like that, but with open gable ends.
My second thought was more of a lean to roof kind of like @2FunKids

Yea i would do open gable ends too. Just couldn't find a picture lol. The lean-to-roof would also work very well as the smoke can travel out. Much cheaper too

I plan on building my last house in the next year or so and I have put MORE THOUGHT in the outside/cooking area than anywhere!!!!!!!!!!.....

I enclosed my area with 4 walls so I could BBQ in all seasons. Gables are open ( with screens) and I put in a chimney for the offset. I get some smoke with kettles and a large fan helps direct smoke out gables. I'll likely add an exhaust fan for times when doors are closed in bad weather.

Attachments

• IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I bought a $20 metal fan and hung it upside down from the ceiling , the metal roof still stains a little but adds character .

Back