Have You Had “The Talk”

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
For me I learned the facts of life in a magazine with beautiful pictures. More specifically
Texas Monthly - is your smoker/grill seasoned or just filthy? Yesterday I spent abut 2 hours cleaning two cookers of similar size with very different heat sources. Pit Boss Austin XL Pellet and Oklahoma Joe Highland Offset. They’re both about the same size. Vacuum, scrape-scrape & scrape. Vacuum. Inside, not much outside. Checked cords on Pellet checked and oiled hinges on both. I wore gloves and still got my hands stained. Both of these cookers had been through several multi meat cooks. Meat sweats happen to cookers too, not just humans. I usually don’t let my Cookers go multiple cooks without a good cleaning. I’m fortunate to live where humidity is as normal as a three Dollar Bill. Even our rain is dry. Due to low humidity and constant winds you don’t normally see the cooker critters that bloom in a humid climate.
However at least two cookers are cleaned and ready.

Seasoned versus Filthy. Glad we had this talk

Last edited:
T
Oh Man !!!! You scraped all that good flavor off again ???!!!

Topic comes around usually followed by don't cook with live fire and barefoot-or flip flops. There have been several Brethren with foot burns due to dropping hot coals. Perhaps we need a cooker top ten list.

I did some cleaning on my 3 cookers a couple weeks back and thought back to when you published the article. Really need to do some extensive work on my grates though. Gotta get some oven cleaner.

I've learned to leave the door on my Stumps slightly open between cooks. That took care of the mold. It's due for a good cleaning once it warms up.

Great point, Adams.

As soon as the weather warms up a bit, all of my cookers are going to get a deep cleaning. My Assassin sorely needs it. My BGE is going to get a new gasket.

Cleaned my whole arsenal last weekend. I'm pretty good about my offset after I use it. I could do better emptying the ash from my PK grill more often.

I use a pressure washer on the plates and grids from my Austinlx , then back into it and a short high heat run to dry them off.

Definitely seasoned as far as the smokers. Waiting for some nice 40ish degree weather to clean the gasser though which is slipping into the crude zone

T

Topic comes around usually followed by don't cook with live fire and barefoot-or flip flops. There have been several Brethren with foot burns due to dropping hot coals. Perhaps we need a cooker top ten list.

Im in trouble i only wear flipflops, i figured the hot coals on the toes are just part of the process

Back