THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
YO YO YO YO!!!!!

What's up Brethren.
I know many of you probably don't know who the fark this is.
Sorry it's been so long, but I'm BACK!

I'm gonna try and get into posting more. I've missed y'all!

So some of you know I've had a recent big surgery that put me out of commission for a while. WELL....I haven't really done much BBQ since mid October. I did do a nice big rib roast for Christmas Eve and smoked a couple chickens for dinner, but no really long cooks....UNTIL WEDNESDAY!

I have a chili cookoff coming up next weekend for our annual church fundraiser (where I'll OF COURSE be doing a double batch of my Big Wampus's Big Boy Brisket Chili) so I needed to have a couple of brisket points.

Well, that was just the perfect excuse to fire up the UDS don't ya know!

Fired it up at about 5:30 am on Wed.
She locked in about 230 and that's where she stayed.
K blue fuel with hickory chunks for smoke.
It was COLD that day and we had some snow so I put up the EZ Up and some walls the night before to keep me out of the weather.
I got both briskets from RD. Both were CAB, one just under 12 lbs and one just over.
Did a light trim, pretty much just taking off the big thick fat chunk and trimmed the fatcap down to about 1/4".
Seasoned both with SPOG. No injection.
Wrapped with butcher paper after about 7 hours (if I recall).
One came off at about 13 hours. One about an hour later.

Separated the point & sliced the flats after a rest, panned the slices with cold beef stock and chilled overnight. Yesterday afternoon I portioned the slices into 1 lb bags and vacuum sealed all. Chunked the point meat up and also vac sealed for the chili next weekend.

Here's how it looked.....

P1200017_zpsub7514s3.jpg

P1200019_zpsjoevcit6.jpg

At the wrap........

P1200020_zps2l6nnfsx.jpg

P1200021_zpsxznger6l.jpg

There isn't much better than the smell of a smokin brisket......

P1200022_zpsyy3k8cuv.jpg

Wasn't sure which looked better WITH flash or without.....so you get to see all. :becky:

P1200024_zpsbnmib4lo.jpg

P1200025_zpszssgksre.jpg

P1200027_zpsjgxmomip.jpg

P1200028_zps1uptdpq9.jpg

P1200029_zpslpdp4gad.jpg

P1200031_zpsouauucki.jpg

P1200032_zpsrqjihfu2.jpg

P1200033_zpseue8gl1v.jpg

It was a little underdone. I was impatient. I knew it when I pulled it off.
In my defense.....

....well chit. No defense. I was tired. I knew I still had to rest and slice it. I just wanted it done.

At least I can admit it right?

Oh it was still good. The point meat was SPOT ON. The flat could have used a little more time, but it was still pull tender, just SLIGHTLY on the dry side, but not crumbly and I was able to slice it really thin so I know it was a little underdone of perfection.

But, it was able to soak up all that beef broth as it chilled and bagged tight, so it will reheat and taste just fine!

Glad to be back Brethren!
Hope to be posting more.

OH......I just realized that I DID take photos of that Christmas prime rib.....so THAT will be coming soon as well!

God Bless!

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Howdy,

Imnew here, but welcome back anyhow. That Brisket looks pretty darn good. Especially for being on the injured reserve for a while. Lovely looking bark, flash on or off!

Wampus!! Awesome cook! I'll take some of that briskie any day! Glad to see you playing with fire again.

WOW!! I can almost smell that steamy beef facial.

Welcome back, I will be keeping an eye out for more post from you!

Love the brisket but love your avatar more. It fits you well!

Was thinking about calling you "one eyed Wampus" but "Rooster Cogburn" fits your personality better!

Great to see you doing better Wampus!!
Your a good man!!

Love the brisket but love your avatar more. It fits you well!

Was thinking about calling you "one eyed Wampus" but "Rooster Cogburn" fits your personality better!

Great to see you doing better Wampus!!
Your a good man!!

Thanks Ray.

Love those flicks and love that photo too.
People that get it get it.

:becky:

Back