THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TwilightChrome

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I am in the fortunate position of the following. I am entering my first contest in June and have sponsored it through my company. The entry fees and most other "get there, get ready" costs are covered. I ran into a guy I know who owns a couple meat markets and is also a restaurant supplier. He and I always talk smoking as he does a little himself. He loved the idea of the contest and offered to sponsor me as well. What do you think a good and fair give/get would be here for both sides? Here are my ideas:

Give:
Mentions on all the team's social media for the run-up to the event
Fly his shop's banner at the event, sticker the equipment
Offer to let him print his logo on our T-shirts if he wants
Provide promotional pictures for him to use, including the team, cooking process, and turn-ins
Mention he is a sponsor to everyone we meet at the event, provide cards or other contact info take-aways to patrons
And of course if we actually do well, mention him on the podium, provide pics of us and the trophies, provide a testimonial, etc.
Anything else I should offer here?

Get:
At-cost meats for all brisket (prime), chicken, ribs, and shoulders (heritage hogs if available) for both the practice cooks which will probably be done 10 weekends between now and then and the actual day-of-contest meats.
Anything else I should ask for here? Drawing a blank, and the above is a great thing already.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Yes, I know I am spoiled here and haven't won enough to deserve sponsorship but I am a proven hustler and promoter.

-TC

If this is going to be your first contest, I would try and find a class to take, it is well worth it. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Funny you should mention that, I am taking Myron's class on Friday. I am also going to try to do a judging class in March. Any thoughts on the give/get for sponsorship from a meat market?

You are already ahead of the game in that you understand that sponsorship is more than "give me a check and I'll thank you on facebook". A lot of teams don't understand that for a sponsorship to work it has to benefit both parties.

I would make sure that you "Get" includes the cost of the banners, stickers, and some portion of the t-shirt cost if you have to get new shirts printed (if you are having shirts printed already adding a logo shouldn't have much cost associated with it.

I think what you have listed is pretty fair. You might want to try to take it up a little and ask them to provide the competition meat and you buy the practice meat at cost. In the "Give" category I have seen other teams offer their sponsors their leftover contest food, so that is another option if you haven't already considered it.

Good luck at your first contest! And have fun at Myron's class, I'm sure you will learn a ton. (Side not: We are an MMS partner team, so if you have any questions about MMS cookers after the class feel free to ask)

Agree with Historic tonyb. I would also offer a demo at his shop if he covers comp meat. Then send the names of these sponsors to me. :-D

I am a proven hustler and promoter.
Excellent! You have a good idea and wish you the best.
Now, in your contract - if you win GC or RGC, etc.,
You get 1/2 price meat, etc.... keep us posted!
He ain't giving you free meat unless..

Funny you should mention that, I am taking Myron's class on Friday. I am also going to try to do a judging class in March. Any thoughts on the give/get for sponsorship from a meat market?

Myron's class is excellent! I took it in December. You'll learn a lot, eat a lot and have a great time! They'll give you some of the meat that you cook to take home.

Myron's class is excellent! I took it in December. You'll learn a lot, eat a lot and have a great time! They'll give you some of the meat that you cook to take home.

I have heard that you get some take home food which sounds great, but I live a 2 hour drive to Atlanta and then a 2 plus hour flight away. Unless I blast chill it or dry ice it and FedEx it on a Sunday somehow I don't see how I get it home? What did you all do? Eat it in the car?

I have heard that you get some take home food which sounds great, but I live a 2 hour drive to Atlanta and then a 2 plus hour flight away. Unless I blast chill it or dry ice it and FedEx it on a Sunday somehow I don't see how I get it home? What did you all do? Eat it in the car?

I went to Walmart and bought a small softside cooler. I used it as one of my carryons and had no problem. They give you ice along with the food. Between my drive to the airport, flight and drive home it was a good 4hrs and no problem. You'll have a great time and they are awesome people. They offer good deals on stuff that he sells on his website with free shipping. Buy the 50 pack of cutting boards and 6 racks at a minimum. I also bought a small bottle of the rubs. Enjoy!

I went to Walmart and bought a small softside cooler. I used it as one of my carryons and had no problem. They give you ice along with the food. Between my drive to the airport, flight and drive home it was a good 4hrs and no problem. You'll have a great time and they are awesome people. They offer good deals on stuff that he sells on his website with free shipping. Buy the 50 pack of cutting boards and 6 racks at a minimum. I also bought a small bottle of the rubs. Enjoy!

You'll also get a sheet with recipes for all of his sauces and rubs. You'll eat good all weekend long. But don't get into the keg too early, he'll give you a hard time. I didn't, but some other guys did. I wanted to make sure I was able to clearly focus each day until class was over.

Yes, I know I am spoiled here and haven't won enough to deserve sponsorship but I am a proven hustler and promoter.

Don't sell yourself short.

The truth is that your success with the judges matters little most sponsors (the exception being those that market directly to competition cooks). Your typical meat market, insurance agent or car dealer is interested in exposure to the general public. Look around during awards at your next contest - how many people there are not affiliated with the contest? Not many.

I once asked a guy who had all his expenses paid courtesy of a big corporate backer what the sponsor's expectations were of him. His reply was: "Frankly they don't give a damn if I even turn anything in for the contest. As long as I take their ad-wrapped trailer to events and wave to the public they're happy."

Back