THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you're just going to cook a couple of backyard events per year, then cook however you want and using whatever you want. Let the chips fall where they will and have some fun. If you're going to compete on the pro level then you need to learn the game and play the game to be successful or you're not going to enjoy the experience. It's takes a special kind of crazy to regularly compete on the pro level. You have to have to realistic expectations and expect to be disappointed. The hope is that the highs outweigh the lows. If not, then you hit another level of crazy.

Yeah your right. I just don't think I am at a level to compete yet not pro division. Backyard contests might even be a bit above where I am at. I probably will continue to try to work towards getting better. I think it will take a long time for me to get where I want to be. I just think I have to realize that I am going to be the bottom rung on the ladder for awhile. I did think about it a little more for chefs choice. Cheese cake does sound like a good idea. My wife says it is very difficult to make a good cheese cake. She has made them and they are always fantastic but she generally makes them once in a blue moon. I had one other idea a dessert but it's more personal to me and truthfully I am honestly afraid to even bring it up. I keep coming back to the idea of using my great grandmother's pie crust recipe and putting together maybe an apple or cherry pie. Little bit of whip creme on top but home made. If you have ever made or tasted whip creme from scratch it blows all the canned stuff out of the water. It is much sweeter than store bought and just a bit fluffier if you know what I mean.

Competition BBQ isn't for everyone. You have to be a special kind of nutjob to do it but if you are competitions can be a blast. Since, you are new I would keep what ever your cooks choice is as simple as possible. Grandmas recipe at home might not translate well when you are under a pop up tent. Practice what you have been taught, go into the contest confident but humble and make friends with the cooks around(offer them a beer before asking for advice). You have gotten a lot of great advice on here, now it's time to get out there and cook.

Competition BBQ isn't for everyone. You have to be a special kind of nutjob to do it but if you are competitions can be a blast. Since, you are new I would keep what ever your cooks choice is as simple as possible. Grandmas recipe at home might not translate well when you are under a pop up tent. Practice what you have been taught, go into the contest confident but humble and make friends with the cooks around(offer them a beer before asking for advice). You have gotten a lot of great advice on here, now it's time to get out there and cook.

One more question what kind of beer? I have only ever had one and man it taste like chit. Miller light is so bad. I am not a beer guy so suggestions?

You sound very frustrated and it is clear you do want to be a winner. We all do. Here is my advice.

Instead of just cooking and not being happy with the end product, work backwards from good. Bbqcritic is a good way to see numerous examples of what good looks like. Look closely. For a good box, analyze what makes it look so good. Color, shine, uniformity? Work backwards from there. Now appearance is not going to win a contest but I believe that good tasting food usually looks good.

Also, great pitmasters can cook on anything, but to a novice, the right tools can help. To turn out great comp food on a 14" WSM is going to require you to understand every what and why things happen on it and know how to adjust to make it do what you want.

Unless a category in a contest goes towards GC, stay out of it. Focus on the key categories.

Yeah your right. I just don't think I am at a level to compete yet not pro division. Backyard contests might even be a bit above where I am at. I probably will continue to try to work towards getting better. I think it will take a long time for me to get where I want to be. I just think I have to realize that I am going to be the bottom rung on the ladder for awhile.

It's okay to start in the BY division to get your feet wet and figure it all out. There are some crazy folks around here that jumped right into the Pro division, but that route is not for everyone...we did an entire season in the BY before moving pro, and the only reason we had any success is because I am a bit OCD and ran our team like a chain yard gang to improve :grin: :crazy:. Just keep practicing, using consistent timelines and recipes, and you will get better.

Also, when people around here give advice, I've learned to take it...there are a lot of people on this forum that have way more collective BBQ knowledge than I could ever dream to amass in my lifetime.

Back