THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Some recent posts with the Trompo King got me thinking about a contraption I'd purchased many years ago (2010 or so) when I first bought the Bubba Keg. One of the guys in the Big Steel Keg forum had bought one and it looked like something I'd make use of - a Chicken Swing.

No, not this -

(Who knew chickens had their own swings?) :-o

This -

I'd stopped using it since the thumbscrew that holds this piece on the rod via friction fit was no longer threading properly so yesterday I cut threads into the end of the rod as an alternate solution and added a giant washer -

The chicken usually sits on the four rods that stick out from that piece, but when making tonite's dinner I'll be using the round tray onto which I'll be stacking meat for Gyros. It's lined with foil and will collect any juices.

The chicken swing never fit on the Bubba Keg since the Keg doesn't have sufficient height in its dome. It did fit on the Cypress Kamado and fortunately it fits just fine on the Goldens' since the dome is tall. Here it is without the tray. The tray doesn't come with the swing, it's just something I added to try my hand at Gyros -

I made some Gyro seasoning yesterday -

The meats are marinating in the fridge until they're ready to stack later today. I'll be using pork, beef and turkey. I know lamb is traditional but it's not a favorite of the Mrs. The pork getting happy -

Along with this I've got dough rising for Pita Bread. Like I did with the Naan bread a few days ago, these may get grilled in cast iron on the stove rather than firing up the Bubba Keg. We'll see.

Having only made this once before many years ago, this will be an interesting afternoon experiment. Yes, the meat is stacked but the stack doesn't turn like a vertical rotisserie does and the fire is beneath the meat rather than to the side. This turned out decently way back when, I expect it to turn out well again today. Fingers crossed.

Stay tuned, more to come later this afternoon.

Regards,
-lunchman

I'm pleased to say this was a very successful cook!

About 2 hours in -

Ready for slicing -

Ready to serve with the Pita bread, tomatoes, red peppers, avocado, olives and the Tzatziki sauces (one with yogurt, the other with sour cream) -

After carving off some meat, the stack goes back out on the grill so the meat at the center can be grilled to proper doneness -

Back inside after another 10 minutes or so on the grill -

Some nice layering of beef, pork and turkey -

The taste was excellent. The marinade I used wasn't overpowering, but gave the meat a nice flavor. The Pita breads were pillowy soft and a perfect complement to the dish.

Thanks for checking out this post and today's experiment with the revamped Chicken Swing and Gyros on the Goldens' Cast Iron.

Regards,
-lunchman

That looks over the top good plus with home made pita bread!

Thanks for sharing!

Cool, I've been looking at getting a vertical meat spit

This is motivating me as this seems reasonable

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/meat-stick-spit?variant=21185975779386

Thanks! I've had a few requests as to where I found this contraption. I had to search back in the Big Steel Keg forum, going back to the thread from 2011 to find some links, none of which work any longer.

The device from Ceramic Grill Store should work perfectly for stacking meat.

-Dom

Back