Pork Gyros on the Rotisserie

Thanx

Thanks! Full disclosure, I am not Greek. I have only had the "American Style" minced beef/lamb shaved in slices. Throughout my research, I noticed that they mainly use Pork in Greece (Pork Neck, I believe), and the thin sliced method like I chose. I was concerned that if I did it the American way it'd fall off my horizontal spit. So this was more of a choice about the tools at my disposal. I am glad I did, because it was freaking delicious!

You've definitely inspired me!!

Thanks for the great post and educational pictures!!!

C

Not trying to hijack the thread Adam but to give ideas. I've done pastor or doner style cooks using a turkey hanger and a barrel cooker. I hung the meat in the PBC and let it cook, once the outside layer was cooked, I'd either shave off and serve or shave on to the griddle to crisp it up more before serving. Then hung the meat back and let it obtain another layer for serving and on and on. Sort of mimicking a vertical spit. You can have the "spit" sit there for hours and as a matter of fact we went all day and into the night eating and drinking.

All good Sako! Heck, I appreciate the ideas for the next one!

I've seen some videos, where folks without a rotisserie, would do a vertical
stand in their grill/cooker....cook it full up till charred on outside...

They cut off this initial layers and then used a blow torch or grass burner type thing and would crisp up the freshly cut outside....cut that off....then later, rinse repeat.

Sounded different and interesting...

C

Back