THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Ok, so not every cook can go exactly as planned.. :doh: I had this genius idea this morning to make gyros... Well, not just make Gyros, but hang gyros in the Shirley. I envisioned this beautiful spit in the middle of the chamber, being kissed by flames all around... Kind of like the spits you see in the gyro restaurants except instead of heat lamps it would be cherry splits. I shouldn't be allowed to cook the day after a hard night of partying apparently...

For the gyro meat, I used a lb of sirloin and a lb of lamb. I ground them through the coarse plate, then ground about 3/4s of it again through the fine plate, hoping to achieve a gyro type texture..

Added some serrano and thai chilis, dill, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, turmeric, S & P

Chilis got a fine mince

Mixed it all up and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.. While it did, I had some stainless left over so I made a platform to support the meat.

Fast forward a couple hours.. Time to build my skewer... I found that the light of the kitchen Island was a perfect place to hang the skewer... Wifey wasn't thrilled, but oh well

I found out that gravity is a real Beeeyotch... Here's where I started...

It just kept sliding down.. :doh: I started getting paranoid I was going to lose it all to the fire gods... I reformed it one last time...

A little while after this... While Buccs laughed his arse off at me from afar... I gave up.. Took the meat ball off the skewer, Split it in half, spread the fire across the bottom and slow grilled the halves on a grate. I did not photograph my defeat...

While they cooked I made Tzatziki sauce. Yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, S & P, Dill..

Meat is done.. Pulled at 175ish...

Dinner is served! Used brandywine heirloom tomatoes from the garden. This did not suck!

Thanks for lookin!

Looks Great Matt - Id hit that fo sure!:clap2:

Just need some handrails and kick plates on that hanging skewer thingy and try again

To be a fair round two, it must be the day after partying! :laugh:

The finished product looks amazing!

Just thinking out loud here......what if you partially froze it before you put it to fire?

I don't know....probably wouldn't work. Can't wait to see the revised version!

It would just sag as it warmed.. It was pretty stiff when I started.. Very cold too. As the heat hit it it started to droop more and more.

I put one egg in the mix, but there was no breadcrumbs or anything for a binder.. and the meat was pretty lean.. I guess if I had to try it again I'd try to stiffen up the meat somehow and make the mixture more dense somewhow.. I dunno, this one may just be a bust. Its pretty darn tasty just cookin' it on the grate!

Last edited:
well one thing for sure you aint scared to try new stuff....... Tyler told me one time..."Dad you know why I can do stuff"... I said why.... he said".... because I aint scared to try"... it looks awesome Matt.... I say as long as the end justifies the means ...who cares......:clap2:

All you need is a bigger plate for the platform and you would have had a gyro burger. That would be a cool way to make burgers! Best fail ever.:wink:

Back