Grilling -vs- low and slow smoking

Blizzard

Full Fledged Farker
What would you say the percentage is between grilling and low and slow bbq smoking is at your house?

Every spring I have an internal debate about a new grill or smoker, it usually gets put off. But still the war rages inside me. Grill vs. Smoker. We grill more at my house, it’s just faster and my better half doesn’t appreciate so much smoke flavor.

70/30 grilling to smoking. We love both, but grilling is just fast and easy, especially on busy weekdays. The flat top also sees a TON of use!

Last edited:
75% grilling, 15% flat top, 10% smoker. I often use the smoker without smoke or just a bit in the beginning, not everyone here enjoys it as well.

Probably 80/20 grilling to smoking. But I also use a (GASP!) gas grill.

Probably 50/50 for us. The smoker is also my grill so the differentiation between the two is murky. I reverse sear most things that aren't just smoked so that blurs the lines even more. We do a lot of cooking on the Camp Chef griddle as well.

Probably 80/20 grilling to smoking. But I also use a (GASP!) gas grill.

Gas???!!! Noooo!:wink:

Oh, we have one of those too. It gets used mostly during the week or spur of the moment cooks. They actually work really well for what they do.

Thanks everyone.

This backs up what I was kind of expecting. I seems most of the pictures people post here are of cooking on a grill. Not all, but a good percentage.

well... I think at my home could be 60% smoking, 30% indirect cooking and 10% grilling (with grilling I mean direct heat)

I do a lot of both, often on the same cook. Smoked a rib roast this weekend, then seared it off at the end. Do the same thing for steaks. I'd say I do 60% smoking, 40% grilling. Do all of it on a Memphis Pro. The plan was to still use the Weber Summit charcoal, but that hasn't happened yet.

No Sir, Waylon hasn’t been fired up since Mabel made her entrance...

Was just curious to see if your experience has been similar to mine. Sold my 26 kettle a few months back as it was just sitting in the backyard and very rarely seeing use.

75% grilling, 25% smoker
o.png

75/25 grilling to smoking at least. I can only handle so much bbq to eat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back