THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I picked up some corn in the husk last night, went with the microwave, it came out very good with just butter, salt and pepper, my wife thought I was nuts, because that is all I had for dinner, well I did have three ears before I even realized it.:clap2:
Dave

I picked up some corn in the husk last night, went with the microwave, it came out very good with just butter, salt and pepper, my wife thought I was nuts, because that is all I had for dinner, well I did have three ears before I even realized it.
Dave

My favorite summer meal is corn on the cob and fresh tomatos !

i just did some corn on a new grill.

Attachments

• IMG_7219.jpg
    IMG_7219.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7222.jpg
    IMG_7222.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7228.jpg
    IMG_7228.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7231.jpg
    IMG_7231.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7234.jpg
    IMG_7234.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 39
One other thing: Sweet corn is best right when it is picked, so you will want to pick it yourself or buy locally if possible. When sweet corn sits, the sugars start breaking down into starches and it won't taste near as good.

THIS.

My in laws will always talk about the "good corn" they got at Wal-Mart in like April, and I just shake my head.

I don't buy corn unless I can be pretty confident it was picked that day or the day before. And then I try to eat it as quickly as possible.

During the offseason? I eat frozen corn that I bought fresh, blanched, and cut off the cob myself when the corn was in season.

THIS.

My in laws will always talk about the "good corn" they got at Wal-Mart in like April, and I just shake my head.

I don't buy corn unless I can be pretty confident it was picked that day or the day before. And then I try to eat it as quickly as possible.

During the offseason? I eat frozen corn that I bought fresh, blanched, and cut off the cob myself when the corn was in season.

Hey, sound like good advice. Thanks!

Hey, sound like good advice. Thanks!

The fresher the better without a doubt. But in today's world of crazy hybrids variety is also a huge determining factor of sweetness. Most of the time the more the farm is willing to spend on seed the sweeter the final corn...there are some crazy sweet hybrids out there these days.

Personally I have narrowed my sweet corn buying to one specific local farm. I get it at the market and I know they pick it the day of. When the peak of the season hits I buy a half bushel or so and spend an evening blanching, shocking, and cutting it off the cob. Blanch for probably a min or less then into ice water to stop the cooking.

Tip for that: buy it in bulk as soon as your local farmers are bringing it in big quantities. That first wave of corn will usually have more kernels than the later waves. At least that is the case up here in the Midwest.

Seriously, when I pull the frozen corn from the freezer I'm amazed at how sweet and delicious it still is. I suppose you could vacuum pack it still on the ears after blanching and shocking but I never have.

Fresh corn and BLTs with garden fresh tomatoes is my favorite summer meal.

Back