THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do yall Silk them? any secrets? seems like it takes me 10 minutes each.!

Cooked the silk comes right off, that's the secret.

If I'm feeling fancy I'll brine them for an hour or two, but mostly they just get run under some water then tossed on the grill with the husks still on. When they're cooked it takes 2 seconds to shuck and de-silk them--you can just rub your hand down them from the tip to the stem and the silk all comes off.

I wish I could like grilled corn on the cob. It looks so beautiful, and it sounds so convenient. I've tried every one of the methods listed in this forum, soaking the husks, not soaking the husks, husking it first, etc ,etc.

It doesn't matter what I've tried, I still always go back to a short dunk in some boiling water as by FAR the best final texture result. The ability to add additional flavors/seasoning of doing it on the grill is so enticing, but the cooked texture of the final product is just not for me.

Heck, with good sweet corn I don't even care if it's cooked.

I have done this many times, and it is by far the best way to remove the husk and silk all at the same time. After that you can grill it or boil it, but it can be eaten as is just add butter, and season to taste. depending on you microwave you may only take about 3 minutes. Warning it will be very hot, add a minute per ear.
Dave

[ame]https://youtu.be/RzYtMeIFH8o[/ame]

Sorry, just saw the above post... Duplicate info.

I use this trick followed by a little charing on a hot grill. You have to be careful because when it comes out of the micro it's already cooked. You can go too far on the grill if you're not careful. Play with a little less time in the micro. Just enough to get the silks off.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgq-PWG6hWk"]Corn On Cob Silk Removal Trick - YouTube[/ame]

Peel the husks down, remove silk, push the husks back up, tie a piece of butcher's twine around the cob, soak in water for 30 minutes to an hour. Put on grill till done. Damn good.

I guess a person could have a large bowl of ice cubes and water to stop any further cooking. if your in the mood, it may be a good time to dehusk all the cobs and freeze for some other time.
Dave

The easiest way for me is to soak whole in some water for about 10 minutes. Then grill rotating till the husks are browning/black. Remove and cut the end off with the nipple (Maybe 1/2" off the actual cobb). Squeeze from the other end (Hairy end) and the cobb should slide right out with no hair on what so ever. It is messy though i try to set up right over a trash can.

This is pretty much how I do it. Almost no silk left on the ear.

How do yall Silk them? any secrets? seems like it takes me 10 minutes each.!

Besides the microwave trick, which I'm definitely gonna try, brushing the ear lengthwise with a vegetable brush or even a toothbrush will clean off the silk.

Do you open it up and peel the Hairs and Close back up? Open up and grill exposed? Inject n Grill? them stupid hairs piss me off or I'd do more......

Nahhh...Put it on the grill. Rotate until it's black all around. Pull the husks back and get those char marks. The hairs should either stick to the husks, or be burnt off.

Thanks for all of the vids, Smitty. When I cook my corn, I let it get almost done and then shuck it. At that time all of the silk will come off with the shuck. Then I add my spice or flavoring and put it back in the grill or smoker for a few minutes to carmelize.

If I'm shucking it first, I use a vegetable brush to get the last silk off.

I'm going to try the microwave and squeeze method...sounds great.

I husk and rinse, then add a little mayo and sprinkle (generously, of course) with Old Bay.. Throw them over medium-high and turn every few minutes

Here is my favorite way to do sweet corn:

4 to 6 ears sweet corn, husked
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon Ancho chili powder
Couple of grinds of black pepper

Set up your grill for a direct cook at 450°F.
Combine everything but the corn in a 9Ă—13 flame-proof pan (aluminum foil drip pans work great for this).
When the grill is ready, set the pan on the grate and heat just until the butter is melted. Remove from heat, but keep warm nearby.
Grill the corn directly on the grate, turning a little it every minute or so until the kernels are a deep yellow and have started to lightly blackened (about 5 minutes). Move ears to basting pan and rotate to coat. Return to the grill and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, turning often. Remove to the basting pan, rotate again to coat, and then move the pan full of corn to the grill. Let it sit on the grate until everything starts to bubble, about a minute.

I am from corn country and like my corn with butter and salt......So, to that end, I do it a couple ways:

1. Take ear, grab the top: leaves and silk both, then strip ear and break bottom of ear off that is the stalk. This is the easiest method to get most of the silks. If there are a few left, don't worry about it as they come off during cooking usually. Boil, roast, etc. Without the leaves as protection, you don't want to leave alone too long on the grill because the sugars cause it to get dark quick.

2. Take ears and put vertically in a 5-gallon bucket. Fill with water and let soak for an hour or so. Place directly on grill without shucking. When done, the silks come right off.

Dunk in real butter and kosher salt. Enjoy........

One other thing: Sweet corn is best right when it is picked, so you will want to pick it yourself or buy locally if possible. When sweet corn sits, the sugars start breaking down into starches and it won't taste near as good.

I soak mine overnight in water with a little sugar. Grill the put on mayonnaise with a little chili powdered.

I saw this "recipe" where you leave the husk on but cut the base of the corn off and nuke it, then squeeze the top and the corn squirts out th bottom free of most of the hair. Same technique works on the grill. Crank up the heat, turn when husk is charred, total time is about 15 min

I take mine out of the husk, sometimes I grill with nothing on it and other times I rub a little olive oil on the corn. I once did lime juice and chili powder.

Back