Grilla Grillz Silverbac questions.

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Alright so in my previous thread about finding a pellet pooper I've requested info on the size of the silverbac.. I personally just can't get a good idea on the capacity that the cooker can hold from watching video's and pictures!

So doing some research they answered the question for me here.. https://grillagrills.com/pellet-grilling/grill-size-comparison/

Now.. I after reading this... Can you really fit 5 12-15lb briskets on a silverbac? anyone have visual proof of multiple briskets cooking on this thing? From seeing pictures and watching video's I just can't get the overall picture on how big this cooker actually is?

Last edited:
I’m in the same situation looking at this grill. It says 5 briskets with the top rack extension. So 3 on the bottom two on the top possibly?

I’m in the same situation looking at this grill. It says 5 briskets with the top rack extension. So 3 on the bottom two on the top possibly?

Yeah. I'm really digging what I'm seeing on this cooker.. Just nothing online is proving the size and capacity of the cooker. Sure you can look at pictures with one brisket.... or a bunch of chicken wings, or couple butts.. but I have yet seen a fully loaded silverbac or to the point where I can say "yup.. that will fit my needs".

But I guess truth be told.. if it holds two briskets I'd be happy. I never cook more than that. So maybe i shouldn't even question it. But still would love to see some real world pictures of this thing in action.

Also is there any reason to go with a pro silverbac over the original? original is cheaper and in my price range.

I'm not saying they didn't manage to cram five on there but I wouldn't recommend it The main grate dimensions show 19.5x26. My Rectec 680 is the same 19.5 deep but wider -- about 36". At 12lbs, the brisket is likely short enough that it will fit front to back. By 15lbs its questionable. Also, on most designs (didn't look that carefully at the Silverback) the drip pan has a gap of an inch or so on the front and back. A lot of heat is directed through those gaps and it scorches the meat that's extending over it.

Going to be pretty tight to get three side by side in 26" too.

You also don't have a lot of headroom on a 20" barrel. The briskets need to be pretty flat fit well on an upper rack. I've done it but it's tight.

You could easily get 2 on the bottom rack possibly 3 depending on size. If you add the top shelf you could get even more

Here is a picture of 1 14lb whole packer brisket on the silverback

Ok.. this is what I like to see.. real world experience photo's with these things in action.. So yeah.. there's a good bit of room in these things! Got any other pictures to share? This picture makes me happy.. Because when it comes to stuff like ribs.. I'll cook 4-6 racks at a time. Seems to have enough room for that.

Now the next big question is.. how long does a hopper of pellets run? lets say at 250-300 degrees.. Does the original silverbac have the Hopper drain to easily empty the hopper? If not how do you empty the hopper? do you leave pellets in the hopper for the next cook or empty it each time so it doesn't collect moisture? Can the pellets collect moisture while in the hopper?

Where do you buy pellets from? What brand? Grilla Grillz pellets are $19.99 for a 20lb bag.. seems rather expensive? Where as say pit bosses pellets are at lows for 15 dollars on 40lb bag

You can get plenty of ribs on the Silverbac. The original does not have the pellet drain. The hopper is a 20 lb hopper and running between 250 to 300 should last between 18 to 20 hours. I store my Silverbac in the garage and I have never had a problem with moisture in the pellets. I just let mine run down and then fill it back up. Lumberjack pellets are a great brand of pellets to use

If you’re interested in a Grilla grill, I’d recommend you join the My Grilla Grill Smoker group on Facebook. You’ll find all your questions answered there.

I'm not saying they didn't manage to cram five on there but I wouldn't recommend it The main grate dimensions show 19.5x26. My Rectec 680 is the same 19.5 deep but wider -- about 36". At 12lbs, the brisket is likely short enough that it will fit front to back. By 15lbs its questionable. Also, on most designs (didn't look that carefully at the Silverback) the drip pan has a gap of an inch or so on the front and back. A lot of heat is directed through those gaps and it scorches the meat that's extending over it.

Going to be pretty tight to get three side by side in 26" too.

You also don't have a lot of headroom on a 20" barrel. The briskets need to be pretty flat fit well on an upper rack. I've done it but it's tight.

OP, have a tape measure, a counter top and some painters tape?

Ok.. this is what I like to see.. real world experience photo's with these things in action.. So yeah.. there's a good bit of room in these things! Got any other pictures to share? This picture makes me happy.. Because when it comes to stuff like ribs.. I'll cook 4-6 racks at a time. Seems to have enough room for that.

Now the next big question is.. how long does a hopper of pellets run? lets say at 250-300 degrees.. Does the original silverbac have the Hopper drain to easily empty the hopper? If not how do you empty the hopper? do you leave pellets in the hopper for the next cook or empty it each time so it doesn't collect moisture? Can the pellets collect moisture while in the hopper?

Where do you buy pellets from? What brand? Grilla Grillz pellets are $19.99 for a 20lb bag.. seems rather expensive? Where as say pit bosses pellets are at lows for 15 dollars on 40lb bag

Pretty handy comparison on the website that points out the difference between original, pro and Alpha.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in your original post, I have the original Silverbak w/o the hopper dump. I leave pellets in my hopper in between cooks. My smoker is left outside on a desk with a cover. I live in NE Missouri along the Mississippi river. We have humid summers and cold winters. Never had a problem with moisture getting in the pellets.

I use pellets sold by a local company Chiggercreek Wood Products. You can get good pellets at places like Rural King, Dicks Sporting goods, etc. I think a lot of people use Lumberjack, B&B and a few other brands. I've never timed how long pellets last, but it hasn't been an issue.

As was mentioned b someone above, join My Griila Grill Smoker on facebook.

If you really need to cook 5 big briskets, I'd look somewhere else. You really want more real-estate for cooks that big.

Why? Airflow and circulation. I can fit two large hams in a 14" WSM and cook them fully. However, the fire is choked pretty hard being stuffed that full. The large meat load also means temperatures are typically lower and it takes MUCH longer to come up to the lower cook temperature.

If you really need to cook 5 big briskets, I'd look somewhere else. You really want more real-estate for cooks that big.

Why? Airflow and circulation. I can fit two large hams in a 14" WSM and cook them fully. However, the fire is choked pretty hard being stuffed that full. The large meat load also means temperatures are typically lower and it takes MUCH longer to come up to the lower cook temperature.

Yeah never will I cook 5 briskets at a time.. and if I did.. I would fire up the vertical offset.. I was just using their size comparison as a reference and asking "is this true?" to get an idea on the size! If the thing can easily fit 2 briskets i'm more than happy with the size! Seen a video the other day of two guys talking about it.. saying the pictures on the website does not do the grill justice on the size.. which they are correct.. I'm sure its a whole different beast looking at it in real life

Back