THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
I can remember my Grandmother receiving an allotment of Government Peanut Butter. Size of a can of paint with about an inch of oil. We were a family of six one income but not eligible. Grandma shared. As did an aunt and uncle. We ate a lot of peanut butter. One of our snacks was peanut butter in a pudding glass covered with syrup. I still do that, and just did. Which got me to Google and found this. Pretty sure mom used oleo :-D
Some y'all to young. This was back in the days you ate foods "in season"

https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/2607915033/government-peanut-butter-cookies/

A friend of my mother's used to share her PB, cheese -- and beans I think -- with us. For most I my childhood I just thought that's how it came from the grocery store. Now, I'd buy some if I could...

One of our favorite school meals was chili day with peanut butter sandwiches. They used to set large bowls of oily government peanut butter and loaves of bread on a table in the center of the cafeteria for us to make our own sandwiches. Yeah, I'm that old.

Adams your mom may well have used oleo but most of the eligible folks likely used real butter as that was part of the allotment too. I had aunts who alo shared and the butter was one of my favorites along with the cookies.

Probably just my childhood lack of recall but I only recall the peanut butter. Mom said that there were other items that others received but I was younger than halfway through second grade when we moved to Texas,
We weren't eligible but who can eat a gallon of peanut butter.

When I was little, my grandpa used to take me with him to a local school where the govt items were distributed. He always picked up the same three things; peanut butter in a can, yellow cheese in a long box like what Velveeta comes in, and boxed powdered milk. When we got back to the house, my grandma would always boil some elbow noodles and then would put them into the oven in in a pan with a couple slices of that new cheese on top to melt. Growing up, at grandma’s, that was Mac n’ Cheese.

Thanks for starting this thread. Those are great memories for me and I hadn’t thought about that time in my life in a while.

I was raised on a Dairy farm. My mother worked in town. We didn't qualify, but could buy the cheese through the milk company. Came in sealed in red wax. Don't know if the folks tried a variety or it was luck of the draw, but sometimes it was extra sharp, but most often mild.

Thanks for the recipe.

Robert

lots of eligible folks where I lived. We had a car so Dad drove my Grandparents and some neighbors to the distribution center to pick up their commodities. We churned butter from cream taken off the fresh milk we got from Mrs. Eller. One time a lot of rice was given out. The surplus butter, extra rice, and other odds and ends were dumped in a 55 gallon drum. Water was added and enough chop (dried corn ground up shucks and all) to make a mixture that could be dipped out into a 5 gallon bucket for feeding the hogs. After working off a while the smell would gag you but the hogs loved it. The main thing I hated was I was already dressed for school when when serving breakfast and some always got splashed on me. I guess the kids on the bus didn't notice the smell because I never got teased about it.

Back