THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JimmyR1Rider

is one Smokin' Farker
Well,

I'm SUPER excited to say that my time has come. This Saturday I get to pick up my unit from Shirley Fab HQ.

It's been a long wait but Christmas is here. I can't wait to get it home, season it and do my first cook. I'll most likely be starting a thread on the actual smoker but I couldn't hold back from posting due to my excitement level.

Gonna be a sick smoker. Way more than I'll NEED but just what I WANTED. I'll never need to replace it with and upgraded version, only buy if I want a second smoker down the road.

Anyway, I'll have to contain myself until then lol.

Congratulations. Super stocked for you. Can't wait for the pron.

Vince

Thanks brother. I can't wait to create some lol.

Oh man have fun tryin' to sleep! I'm excited that you're excited. Soak it up!!

Haha!! I know. I dreamt of pork Butts and whole hog last night :razz:

Thanks. I haven't been this excited about a purchase in a very long time except for the engagement ring. Can't wait to meet the Shirley boys also.

Congrats on the new Shirley! 30x75 straight back...what a beast.:shock: i had 8 briskets on my little 24x55 and that didn't fill 2 racks completely.

you are going to love it. I have basically the same cook chamber and I love mine. have not filled it up yet, but I like the room. I am still learning the different temperature spots in it, but I like being able to put different cuts of meat in different places. holds temps great. easy to use. I can t say enough good about mine.

Congrats on the new Shirley! 30x75 straight back...what a beast.:shock: i had 8 briskets on my little 24x55 and that didn't fill 2 racks completely.

Thanks Paul. Yes, between the extended trailer and the 42" chargril the thing's gonna be huge lol. I can't wait to get this thing and taste the difference between charcoal fed with chunks and an actual stickburner.

Didn't have a chance to source local firewood so I ordered 50lbs of oak, 50 of hickory as well as 30 of peach from Fruita. Will be here Friday and I'll be home with the smoker on Sunday so it'll work out nicely.

you are going to love it. I have basically the same cook chamber and I love mine. have not filled it up yet, but I like the room. I am still learning the different temperature spots in it, but I like being able to put different cuts of meat in different places. holds temps great. easy to use. I can t say enough good about mine.

The anticipation is killing me. Lol

Didn't have a chance to source local firewood so I ordered 50lbs of oak, 50 of hickory as well as 30 of peach from Fruita. Will be here Friday and I'll be home with the smoker on Sunday so it'll work out nicely.[/QUOTE]

I looked that up. Is that the 12" splits? I use 5 20" splits of oak to get mine up to temp then add one about every 45 min to hour to keep it between 225 and 250. If it is the 12" splits I would find a local source for some bigger wood to feed it. A long brisket cook in the winter up there could eat some wood. I have the 1/2" firebox which holds heat pretty good. not as good as the insulated but close.

Didn't have a chance to source local firewood so I ordered 50lbs of oak, 50 of hickory as well as 30 of peach from Fruita. Will be here Friday and I'll be home with the smoker on Sunday so it'll work out nicely.

I looked that up. Is that the 12" splits? I use 5 20" splits of oak to get mine up to temp then add one about every 45 min to hour to keep it between 225 and 250. If it is the 12" splits I would find a local source for some bigger wood to feed it. A long brisket cook in the winter up there could eat some wood. I have the 1/2" firebox which holds heat pretty good. not as good as the insulated but close.[/QUOTE]

The guy I had lined up sold out before I had a chance. I only went to Fruita for the seasoing and a few cooks worth.

I did get the insulated firebox so that should help a bit but I'll definitely be getting wood local. Like I said I just wanted to make sure I'd have enough here and ready for the first stages.

It would be a crime to go pick it up and not be able to season it and cook on it right away.

I looked that up. Is that the 12" splits? I use 5 20" splits of oak to get mine up to temp then add one about every 45 min to hour to keep it between 225 and 250. If it is the 12" splits I would find a local source for some bigger wood to feed it. A long brisket cook in the winter up there could eat some wood. I have the 1/2" firebox which holds heat pretty good. not as good as the insulated but close.[/QUOTE]

The guy I had lined up sold out before I had a chance. I only went to Fruita for the seasoing and a few cooks worth.

I did get the insulated firebox so that should help a bit but I'll definitely be getting wood local. Like I said I just wanted to make sure I'd have enough here and ready for the first stages.

It would be a crime to go pick it up and not be able to season it and cook on it right away.

12" splits is what I went with yes.

Back