THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okie Sawbones

Banned
Although it arrived several days late, my wife got me some LEM products for Christmas to ease my sausage making.

aaaa_zpsmkb9slyw.jpg

aaaaa_zpsclmxesff.jpg

I made 10 lbs. of breakfast sausage, which I bulk packaged, no pron.

Up next was 6 lbs. of Andouille sausage, ready to go on my smoker:

aaa_zps7dhexnhg.jpg

Andouille Sausage

5 pounds pork shoulder
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon paprika
3 tablespoons black pepper, ground
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon dried thyme
3 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon file powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
¼ teaspoon bay leaf, ground
1/8 teaspoon mace
½ teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon Instacure #1
4 cloves pressed fresh garlic
1 onion, processed fine
½ cup ice water

Grind using a 6.5 mm plate
Mix spices and Instacure in a jar and mix well
Mix all ingredients in a meat mixer for 3-5 minutes
Stuff in 38 mm hog casings in 6 inch lengths
Smoke at 165-175 degrees until an internal temperature of 154 degrees
Plunge in ice water until cooled.

Next was a French version of Boudin Blanc. This was a PITA to make, but oh my God it is delicious. We had some tonight with a cream and mustard sauce, with leeks and mashed potatoes.

aa_zpslwcpti2s.jpg

Boudin Blanc Sausage - Rethel

Ingredients

• 1600g (3.5 lbs.) pork leg, shoulder, veal, or chicken (I use equal amounts of shoulder and chicken)
• 600g (1.3 lbs.) pork fatback
• 80g (2.8 oz.) potato starch or bread crumbs
• 2 onions, finely diced cooked and cooled (not browned)
• Pinch of sugar
• Pinch of salt
• 24 egg whites
• 320 ml (11 oz.) whipping cream
• 1200 ml (1 quart plus 1 cup) milk cooked with an onion and the peel of 1 orange (for flavor)
• 1 bay leaf
• Large pinch of thyme
• Large pinch nutmeg
• 80g (2.8 oz.) salt (I use pickling salt)
• 12g (0.42 oz.) white pepper
• 4 meters (13 feet) 32 mm sausage casing
• Kitchen string

Cooking liquid

• 2000 ml (~2 quarts) milk
• 8 litres (~8 quarts) water
• 120 ml (1/2 cup) orange flower water (you can make this by putting the zest of an orange in 120 ml of water and let sit overnight).

Instructions

1. Sweat onions with just a little butter over low heat (don’t brown). Add a pinch of salt & sugar. Let sit overnight.
2. For aromatic milk, simmer low (60˚C/140F maximum) with orange peel, bay leaf, thyme, and sliced onion for 20-30 minutes. Let sit overnight then strain.
3. Mix ground meat (I use a 6 mm plate) with onions, pepper, salt, nutmeg, and potato starch. You can use corn starch if you have no potato starch. Run back through the grinder twice using a 3 mm plate.
4. In a Cuisinart put 1/3 of the meat mixture and blend in 1/3 of the egg whites, 1/3 of the milk, and 1/3 of the cream until just mixed. Don’t turn cream into butter. Repeat until all meat is mixed. Use a wire whip to mix the thirds together in a large bowl.
5. Start cooking liquid simmering (180F)
6. Fill your casings with your sausage stuffer. It can be a little bit messy, because the meat mix has the consistency of Malt-O-Meal. Tie off in 6” lengths.
7. Poach in cooking liquid for 20 minutes. The internal temperature should be ~155F. Put in ice bath to cool.

Thanks for looking.

Man I would do anything for a sausage stuffer! It's a real pain using the grinder and stuffer attachment for it!

Here's the sausages the wife and I made last night
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222912

It's not so bad because she gets the task of feeding job! ha!

Do you vacuum seal and freeze any of them? I had to partially freeze mine in order to keep the sausages from squeezing the filling out of the ends!

great gifts mate, great timing.
How easy was the Mixer to clean. I'm getting mixed reviews on them,
I cant go look as I will probably Amazon it.
Your snags look brilliant:thumb:

great gifts mate, great timing.
How easy was the Mixer to clean. I'm getting mixed reviews on them,
I cant go look as I will probably Amazon it.
Your snags look brilliant:thumb:

Thanks. The mixer is very easy to clean once you learn how to easily take out the blades. You must rinse the blades and tank immediately to prevent sticking. I use the sprayer on the sink. You can come back with soap and water after the sausage are stuffed.

What's the KirchenAid like for a sausage grinder/stuffer? (Did you have a mixer with attachment or a standalone sausage machine), I've been contemplating purchasing a mixer that can do mince and sausages) ... Thanks.

It works, but it is a lot slower than a dedicated machine. Kitchenaid has attachment packs you can buy. If you're just doing 5 lbs. at a time, it'll get the job done.

The LEM goes through the meat like a buzz saw. I never bogged it down. I like the wide variety of grinder plates as well.

Man I would do anything for a sausage stuffer! It's a real pain using the grinder and stuffer attachment for it!

Here's the sausages the wife and I made last night
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222912

It's not so bad because she gets the task of feeding job! ha!

Do you vacuum seal and freeze any of them? I had to partially freeze mine in order to keep the sausages from squeezing the filling out of the ends!

That is some nice sausage you made there. Yes, I vacuum seal and freeze the next morning after cooling in the fridge.

Back